All Dried Up...:( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since Sunday, my DD (7.5 mos) has been sick with a cold / sore throat. Well I got the stomach flu that night and have been really sick until today and am back at work, but, now I have dd's cold and am miserable from that. Not to mention the fact that I haven't eaten in 4 days. I ate a bagel this morning and some veggee broth last night, but my tummy is still kind of upset. So, between her not nursing and me not pumping, I am almost completely dry...I am pumping right now and haven't even gotten an ounce and my breasts are completely limp.

Will I be able to build my supply again? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

--Jennifer
#2 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Yes, lots of people have exped this. Yes, your supply will come bounding back up as soon as you can eat and drink. Hang in there and feel better!
#3 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 01:31 PM

Do you have any sick leave left, that you could take tomorrow off and just make it a long weekend of nursing, nursing, and more nursing, preferably in bed with lots of skin to skin contact? Try as much as possible not to be up and about - no housecleaning or catching up, have someone bring you food in bed or else make as little effort as possible to eat.

Drink lots and lots of water, or, since you haven't been eating and drinking much, soups and broths (as long as they're low sodium), smoothies, fruits like oranges and mangos, etc. Really get some food and hydration into you, but if you have to make it yourself, make it as simple as possible, don't work!

Do you have a health food store nearby? If so, pick up some fenugreek capsules, blessed thistle (if they have them), and if no blessed thistle then nettles and alfalfa capsules. Take 3 to 4 of each, 3 times a day (you'll start smelling like maple syrup from the fenugreek, which means you're taking enough).

And remember that a) babies are much better at emptying your breasts than the pump is, so that's not a great indicator of supply, and b) your breasts can feel "empty" and still produce milk. So you may have more, and your daughter can get more, than you think.

Have you been supplementing? What has dd been eating if she hasn't been nursing? She needs to eat, but supplementation may lead you into a downward spiral of not nursing, so offer her the breast as much as possible.

I hope you feel better!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi--

Thanks for your replies. Well, dd has been drinking formula, which isn't new to her, I've had to supplement since she started back at daycare. But, right now she won't breastfeed at all. One, she hates it when my bb's are limp and two, still feels yucky and refuses to nurse. It has been hard to get her to even take a bottle. But she is eating at least 20 oz a day which is what the doc required just to keep her hydrated.

I think I might take another day off tomorrow. That's a good idea. I have some fenugreek at home, but I think it caused dips in my blood sugar, as sometime I would get very shaky when taking it. So, I'm a little hesitent to try that again, especially since my blood sugar is already messed up from not eating.

Please wish me luck!

Have a great day and thanks again.

--Jennifer
#5 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 02:54 PM

Try Mother's Milk Tea, too, if you don't have a health food store nearby. It is available at lots of mainstream grocery stores. It has helped me.

Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 03:18 PM

If fenugreek makes you shaky I would stay away from it, and try other herbs if you're so inclined. Here's some info:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbal_galactagogue.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/low-supply.html

There's lots of links to references and how-tos for increasing supply in here.

I know it's rough, but I would really, really try to get away from the formula as much as possible, by nursing as much as possible. Just keep offering patiently, and give her lots of snuggle time at the breast, hang out in bed with both of you naked, etc.

Good luck, you can do it!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page