Come Back for Silly people - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would your response be to a another person who informed you that EBF has no nutritional value and is all comfort? I am currently nursing my 17 mos old son and daughter. I was educated with this "fact" today while picking my 4 yo up from preschool
Julianne
#2 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 01:39 AM

Just say, "oh really? What medical journal did you read that in? I would love to be more informed." Don't be snotty, just really sincere and look them straight in the eye. Watch how fast they turn away.

IF there is even a response it will probably be, "that's what my doctor/mother/husband/grandma/neighbor/grocery-store-tabloid-magazine has always said."

Then you can say (still not sarcastic, very sincerely), "oh really? Let me bring you some information that says otherwise." And then give them a little pat on the shoulder and walk away.
#3 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 12:50 PM

double post

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#4 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 12:54 PM

The World Health Organization, UNICEF and the American Academy of Family Physicians all recommend nursing at LEAST two years.

(NOTE: it's the AAFP that recommends two years, the AAP or American Academy of Pediatrics recommends at least one year.)

There are great references at
http://www.kellymom.com

You can be gentle, you can say "I used to think that too until I did some research" or "they are learning more and more everyday how wonderful breastfeeding is, isn't it great?" followed by a *BIG SMILE*

While some people are just mean, others may be grieving following bad advice or societal pressures in the past, which makes them defensive. They may envy the support available to you and your courage. Or again, they may be mean.

And WHAT'S WRONG WITH COMFORT????

Anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler says the longer you nurse, the higher the child's IQ is.

There are still emotional, and immunological benefits, see kellymom above.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#5 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
C. Everett Koop was another Surgeon General who said that babies nursed beyond 2 were lucky.

I'd probably go the "oh, what medical journal did you read that in?" route too. Or maybe "what peer reviewed scientific study demonstrated that? got the citation?"

"What will you do once you know?"
#6 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One could say "Really? No nutritional value at all? Wouldn't my child be dead, then?" (Since some children are EXCLUSIVELY bf for the first year and beyond.)

I always point out that many of the foods consumed by adults have no nutritional value, such as soda or donuts, but that doesn't stop us from consuming them. What's wrong with a child eating purely for taste and pleasure?
#7 of 21 Old 02-21-2003, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I would say, "That's a good enough reason for me!"
#8 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 12:50 AM

":Shoot did I miss the expiration date? Can you take a sip and tell me if it tastes funny?"

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 02:00 AM

"Really? That explains it, then -- because everyone comments how at ease and wonderfully well adjusted she is. It's all that comfort! *Thank* you for sharing that with me!"
#10 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka
":Shoot did I miss the expiration date? Can you take a sip and tell me if it tastes funny?"
:LOL :LOL

I might just use that one! (who am I kidding, I wouldn't really use it, but I might think that the next time someone makes that comment and then just start laughing!)
#11 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka

I WILL say that next time. Can you believe WIC "nutrition" councelor told me, looking at my perfectly healthy and beautiful dd at two that I shouln't let her have bm when she won't eat other meals cause I'm the Boss, not her. She needs meat ect. She pointed out the food pyramid poster saying "look, she's only aloud x amount in the milk group a day" She thinks it's equivalent to cow milk? She said after a year there is not enough nutrition in bm I asked to see the articles and authors this information came from and did she have any sources? She just hands me generic food pyramid papers, nothing about bf. Whatever. I just told her that I would bring info about benefits of Long term breast feeding. She didn't give me anymore WIC appts., I just get cupons in the mail. I try not to let dd drink much cow milk anyway. I'm sure all that cheese isn't good for toddlers either. WIC is messed up.
#12 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 07:37 AM

Im rehearsing for the cover of National Geographic

Heard that one some time back and I have been dying to use it!!!

if it was someone who was mean and I wansn't going to see them again to have the oppotunity to educate them , then thats what Id say - but if it was someone I know or something, I'd want to educate them...
#13 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 07:40 AM

oh and at a conferance I went to recently - it was said that WIC could save over 1 million (or more - I will check that stat with TDH) a year (in Texas alone) if the breastfeeding rate went up by just 10%
#14 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 01:01 PM

DH just came up with a good one.

"Gee, all the founding fathers' mothers thought it was good enough for them!"

He went on, but I'll leave the politics of current office holders out of this.

#15 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 PM

Found a GREAT link about responding to criticism!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/criticism.html

Also at the same site they said human milk is PLENTY nutritious in the second year, containing protein, fat, calcium, and vitamins including A, B12, C and folic acid!
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html
If you follow the links in the second link, Anthropologist and Nutritionist Katherine Dettwyler says the fats in breastmilk are associated with intelligence...talk about "good fats!"

#16 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 01:08 PM

I think what's happening when people make this silly comment is that they are confusing a child needing to have more than just MM at some point with MM's nutritional value.

The milk doesn't lose any value, the child just reaches a point of needing more than just that milk.

For example: carrots are wonderfully nutritious, but they are not adequate to be the only food in someone's diet. This does not change that they in themselves are full of good nutrition.

Same goes for mother milk.

#17 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies,

Momtwice I appreciate the links. Tahnk you for your support

Thanks for all the wonderful responses!!! I am laughing at all the great come backs. Not much time at the moment ....I'm off to practice for my photo shoot with National Geographic.

Julianne
#18 of 21 Old 02-22-2003, 04:52 PM

How about "And how long did you nurse for?" When she says 3 weeks, months etc. you can quote the AAP on 1 year and as long as mom and baby mutally agee.
#19 of 21 Old 02-23-2003, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The stat I heard was that taxpayers nationwide would save over $1 billion if all WIC mothers bfed for just one month.

This is not only the cost of formula, but also since many of these babies are on Medicaid, it also counts the extra doctor visits for non-bf babies.
#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2003, 01:32 PM

refresh

#21 of 21 Old 04-05-2003, 03:04 PM

I actually printed off a bunch from www.kellymom.com and I carry it in dd's diaper bag. That way I can just hand it over to someone and have them read for themselves the benefits of EBF. I have most of it memorized, so I can quickly rattle off several reasons for EBF. I think alot of the responsed posted above are great and will add them to my repetoire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page