When do they start "asking" for nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-21-2003, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By this I mean verbally. I always hear of other toddlers and babies asking for "num-nums" or whatever name they came up with. My son is almost 13 months and to my knowledge doesn't have a word for it. He babbles a lot and says mama, dada, ball, and no no, but that's about it. I have ALWAYS said to him, "Do you want some milkies?" before each nursing and when the let down happens - I say "here come those milkies." So I know he knows the word, I can tell by his reaction. I guess milkies is probably too hard to say. And I wonder if sometimes when he yells "ma!" he's asking to nurse? He still nurses quite a bit, because I just offer when he's getting cranky or doing his weird fake laugh thing. I'm beginning to think he's weird for not having a word for it, since it seems so many other babies do.

Anyways, just curious as to what age your little ones came up with a word for it...

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#2 of 12 Old 02-21-2003, 06:30 AM

Can't remember when, exactly but she did eventually ask for NURSE!!! Always said with urgency, whenever said. LOL

I remember reading how other babes asked for it and thinking my DD never would and then one day, she did. I much prefer it over the crying. : )
#3 of 12 Old 02-21-2003, 12:21 PM

my dd just starts tugging on my shirt (not lifting) I have started doing some sign language and she has done the sign for milk once. most of the time she swats at my hand sign and pokes my shirt...lol like duh mom you know what I want. I am anxious to hear her "ask" though
#4 of 12 Old 02-21-2003, 04:17 PM

Depends on how verbal your kid is. All mine talked early. I clearly remember stuff from first dd. The rest are more of a blur, LOL. She said "kitty" clearly at 9 mos. Had been saying "kee" for a month before that.

I know she was asking for nursing at 15 mos, b/c I remember we were on a crowded plane, and she cried out, "I wanna NURSE!" to be heard by all. Then I knew we needed a code word, ha ha.
#5 of 12 Old 02-22-2003, 07:33 AM

i think milkies is a hard word to say. i was always saying milkies milkies milkies, to no avail. but i said boob like once, and now my 18mo says boob all the time. and when she cries because i'm not bustin it out fast enough she cries "booo-hoooo-hooobbbb." she likes to point out boobs wherever she sees 'em, too. nice. i'm not nervous about referencing nursing in public, so it doesn't bother me.

but do you know the sign language for nursing? it's a lot easier for some kids to do that rather than saying something. the sign for milk is like you're milking a cow, basically, opening and closing the hand... i started doing that sign probably around a year and within a week she was doing it. up with sign language!
#6 of 12 Old 02-22-2003, 01:00 PM

My son is 18 months, and his vocabulary grows every day. He sometimes says "nuhs," but knows that his nonverbal cues get faster results! If I'm holding him, he pats my breasts. If he's roaming, he walks up to me and tugs on my shirt, then lifts it.
#7 of 12 Old 02-23-2003, 01:00 AM

My son was also a really early talker and he asked for "nurt, nurt" like a grunting little piggie by the time he was just past 7 months old. It turned to "nurse, nurse" by a year old, and then he developed his own code word ("over") to ask for nursing by a year and a half. Now, at 2.5, he still uses the self-developed code word but askes explicitly, "When I wake up from my nap, can I do some over mommy?" He also calls my breasts "overs," but he refers to them as HIS overs, not mine!! BTW, I do know how the code word came about, but its a long story...maybe I'lll start another thread!
#8 of 12 Old 02-23-2003, 02:44 AM

You know I cannot recall when ds started verbally "asking" for his"mee-mee's" but I will say that he is 33 months old now and he is so sweeet about asking for mee's and will even make the cutest comments about nursing now...... like once he hurt himself playing and of course wanted to nurse, but when he was done he said "thanks for amking me feel better Mama...mee's makes you(meaning him) feel better..."...made me melt....lol....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#9 of 12 Old 02-23-2003, 03:22 AM

My youngest daughter is 12 months and doesn't say when she wants to nurse, I just offer when she cries, if shes hungry she eats if shes not hungry she doesnt. My 2 year old still nurses alot and calls it neenoos. I cant remember when she started saying it, she was around 10 months or so but she is much more verbal than my 12 months old who hardly says a word. I wouldnt worry about it. All kids start talking at a different rate, and maybe because you offer milkies when needed your baby doesn't have to tell you. =)
#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2003, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Dd started signing for it at about 9 mos, but for some reason she used the sign for "more" to mean nurse. Now at 17 mos she says " milk, please" and lifts up my shirt.
#11 of 12 Old 02-23-2003, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the stories, I loved them! I feel better now. They really cracked me up:LOL I have heard my son say "boob" a couple times so I'm starting to try and associate that word with nursing, and who knows maybe it'll take. I've also tried the sign for milk, to no avail. I probably didn't do it consistently enough.

Thanks again....and teachma- I would love to hear the origin of "overs" story if you ever have the time

Oh, nevermind I just saw the story, that's hillarious!

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#12 of 12 Old 02-24-2003, 07:49 PM

Littlebit has always called them his Nynees They are not minethey are his.HE started saying Night Night Nynees when he was about 7 months.Then he went through a stage that he would pull at my shirt and say Nynees.Then when he would nurse for a minute he would lookat me and say switch please.Now he says nurse mommy or if he is sleepy or upset he will say Nynees Now please.HE is so sweet though.We still co-sleep so this morning I thought it was so sweet I had my back turned to him and he tapped me on the shoulder and said Mommy Nynees Please.Then when he started nursing he said I love Mommys Milk and sqeezed me really tight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page