12 month old won't drink anything but bm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2003, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, My 12 month old dd won't drink anything but breastmilk, and it has to be straight from the tap! No sippy cups, no bottles. She has never drank anything but her nursies!

I am starting to get a little bit concerned about this. I don't want her to drink too much, and think she should still get most of her liquid from breastmilk, but I do want her to at least accept a sippy cup and drink a little bit of water out of it.

She didn't really start eating solds until she was 10 months old, but now at least she does eat some solids. Not much, she is still 95% breastfed, but she does eat a little bit of solids. Likewise, I would like her to at least drink a little bit of water from a sippy cup.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2003, 01:11 PM

put a cup in the tub....thats how my babies practiced
Old 02-21-2003, 01:14 PM

My dd was very slow to warm to the idea of solids and any liquid other than BM. I finally had some success with giving her sips of water from a regular cup, especially if it was one I was drinking out of! Then I just kept offering a sippy cup of water throughout the day and when she was in her high chair for snacks and meals. She also liked to take a cup in the bath and drink that ( I tried to not think about the pee she was probably drinking!) Then over time she consistently drank water but wouldn't drink anything else out of a cup. Now at 16 months she only nurses a couple of times a day and drinks 2-3 sippy cups of milk and several drinks of water. Hang in there, it will happen eventually!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:44 PM

If she is hardly eating solids, for reasons of her own which are no doubt good, ie; allergies, gag reflex, etc, she needs your milk a whole lot more than plain water. As she gets more nutrition from table foods, then you can expect her to drink water to thirst as well.

User Tag List