Do your babes use a special word for nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my son was a baby, he asked to nurse by saying, "nurt, nurt," which was the closest to "nurse, nurse" that he was able to pronounce. Eventually, though, he picked up on another word and now refers to nursing by that strange "code" word that he selected for himself. He calls it "over," because I always used to unlatch him to switch him OVER to the other breast. He'd panic, as if I were pulling him off the boob forever, so I'd reassure him by explaining, "Don't worry, sweetie- I'm just switching you over to the other side." Somehow, he latched onto the word "over," so now that's what he calls it! He asks, "Can we do some over?" and when he sees me naked, he says, "I love those overs, Mommy." When he helps me with laundry and comes across a bra, "Here, Mommy, this is for you overs." But usually, he's just asking to "do some over." It's so sweet.
#2 of 17 Old 02-23-2003, 11:11 PM

Littlebit has always called them his Nynees.When he wants to nurse he says Nynees Please Mommy.He will tell me I love your nynees.Whne we switch sides I will tell him okay lets switch to the other side.For a while he was saying otherside please.He says the sweetest things.
#3 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Lol, mine says ,"Switch sides" too!
#4 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 01:09 AM

"I want 'the little.'" i.e., the nipple.

I expose "the little"

He sees it: "Awwwwww, the little..... pequeno." (Pequeno is little in Spanish.)

My Spanish babysitter taught him to say "chi-chi's" so he calls them that too. Though in Spanish, it maybe too vulgar. But for Americans, who don't know it, it's fine.

My "baby" will be 3 next month and is still nursing. I am working on weaning, but it's hard because he reaaaaaaally loves nursing.

BTW, now he does say, out loud, in public, "I want to nurse. Nursing will make me feel better."

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#5 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 02:16 AM

My dd (28 months) says "want to go nigh-nigh" or just "want nigh-nigh" and I assume it is because I nurse her to sleep and I would always ask her if she was ready to go night-night. Kind of confuses people, since they think she always wants to take a nap : .
#6 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 03:16 PM

These stories are just too cute! I can't wait til my dd can talk and say such sweet things to me. She's just over a year old now, so it won't be too long. I just love nursing!
#7 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 03:18 PM

Sam says he wants juice. When he is done with one side, he will look up, point the other side and say I want this one.
#8 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 03:59 PM

my little bean calss them muck,muck.sounds like something a little eskimo babe would say.shes only 14 mos. and cant say too much.pretty much just muck,muck.
#9 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 06:38 PM

My dd Marisa calls nursing "num, num". When she was really young it sounded more like "nu nu" but now that she's almost 2 it is loud and clear, "NUM NUM". I am thoroughly enjoying our extended breastfeeding. There is nothing more precious than seeing her content, smiling face when she sees her "num num". I plan on continuing to nurse until she turns it down or stops asking. Boy what a sad day that will be!

I am so very, very happy to read other stories of women who are also doing the extended breastfeeding thing. I feel so all alone sometimes and this board just made my day. Thanks!
#10 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 06:44 PM

My dd turned 3 last month...ever since she could talk she says mama I want to do other side...I guess from me saying lets do the other side now...I like it...its like our secret code
#11 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 07:43 PM

Well, we call it "boobie time" here. I think it embarrasses my husband. Today on the phone my two year old was talking to grandma and she asked "Where is Jack?" and my son answered "On Boobie". He goes to school and talks about it too. I think some of the parents think we are one nutty family!
#12 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 08:14 PM

My ds weaned at 2.7 years this past Sept and he used to say "nur" and "other". Too cute. Out in public it just sounded like he was grunting "no, no." By the time he could actually say something that sounded like nurse, he pretty much stopped asking for it unless we were home.

Golden
#13 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
milk-milk here. dd is 2 and says it clear as day. i started out referring to it as boobie-milk and then decided that was probably going to result in requests for "boobie" as she got older so we switched to "baby-milk". as she started to talk more, though, she would say "baby" (or something like it) and i didn't realize for sometime that she was trying to say "baby-milk", so then she switched to just saying "mik" and that became "mik-mik" or "milky" or "milky-milk" or every once in awhile "mama's milk" . she doesn't like cow's milk, so there's no confusion there.

-beanma.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#14 of 17 Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 PM

We use the French baby-talk word for milk: lo-lo. It really surprised me how early DD could articulate those L's!

She likes to sing little songs with the syllable: "Lo, lo, lo-lo-lo ... loooooo ... looooo ... Lo, lo-lo-LOOOOOO ..."

#15 of 17 Old 02-25-2003, 12:00 AM

My daughter just calls it "milk". (Pronounced "nult". )

My son used to call it "other side" because when he was done with one side I'd say, "do you want the other side?" We'd be out in public and he'd want to nurse so he'd say, "mama, other side!!!" People were always asking, "what he is talking about?" lol!
#16 of 17 Old 02-25-2003, 12:06 AM

Well, we're really original here. My daughter would just ask to nurse! My son doesn't have a word for it yet. My daughter does call my breasts my nursers which isn't very weird, but I figured she'd call them breasts. I call them breasts or boobs (okay, crass, I know, I also regularly use the word chic and dude - so sue me!!!!). :-)
#17 of 17 Old 02-25-2003, 03:34 PM

When Bailee was a baby my cousin/ best friend called it "nookie" I quickly changed it to "nummie" ( also how I came up with my screen name) For a long time she'd say "mummy" and I knoew what she wanted . Now that she is a little over 2 she say "noose" which is her very best effort to say nurse. AND I have to add that when we are done with one side, she says 'dat side now,mommy,peeeease?" :LOL SO darn cute!
Oh and she says "baby nenna noose too mommy" when she wants her sister to nurse with her

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page