2 yo driving me crazy since baby's birth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need some btdts here.
I'm currently tandem nursing my 23 month old ds (kid #2) and 2 week old dd (my third). My ds has turned into this child I don't recognize...he was a sweet, easygoing baby and easy toddler, and all of a sudden he's changing. I think a lot of this started about two weeks before the baby was born so I can't blame it all on the arrival of a new sibling.

I've tandem nursed before....ds #1 was 2 3/4 when #2 was born, and it was a much easier transition. He did want to nurse a lot, whenever he saw his brother nursing, and I just went with it and he went back to his regular pattern quickly.

For some reason though this time it's really working my nerves that the 2 yo wants to nurse every 15 minutes. He's become whiny, he's suddenly started throwing things, refusing to eat unless he's held in a lap and spoonfed, throwing tantrums, etc. He has just changed overnight!
I am trying to nurse him whenever he wants but find myself resentful which is not right...if I ask him to wait for a couple of seconds while I get his sister latched on, he throws a fit. I've started asking him to "ask nicely for Mimis" and he will sometimes, but mostly has NO patience at all. I try to give him undivided attention when baby is asleep, cuddles, nursing, etc. It doesn't seem to be helping.

I am empathetic that his life has changed and he's been "usurped" but I don't want to tolerate bad behavior either. Suddenly I am at a loss as to how to discipline a mostly pre-verbal toddler! He hasn't been pushed off the breast and is still in the family bed so that should help make the transition easier for him.

Any ideas? TIA.

User Tag List