Tea with caffiene - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you give this to a one month old baby because he has begun to throw up curdled breastmilk?
The purpose would be to help settle his belly?
This is what a doctor told a friend of mine today.
Oh, and said she could add a bit of sugar if she wanted.
2 oz of tea, by the way.

This sounds totally whacky to me...
#2 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 10:48 PM

What?: What is this doctor's reasoning?
#3 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 PM

Not at two months, but my kids get enough via my boobs!!!
#4 of 15 Old 02-27-2003, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I dont know what his reasoning was.
Didn't think the babe was over eating or that it was reflux because the milk was curdled.
The throwing up is just like in the last week or so. So the first few weeks he must have been okay.
I'll have to ask her for more details..
#5 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 01:44 AM

Sounds completely whacked to me. I wonder what this doctor's credentials on breastfeeding are....if he or she is like most US doctors, that would be zilch.

I think (not sure) that curdling is just a function of how long the milk has been down before it gets spit up.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Right Jane,
About the curdling. Thats why he told her he didnt think it was reflux or overfeeding himself from comfort sucking.
But why on earth would you want to give a brand new tiny baby TEA WITH CAFFIENE AND SUGAR!!!!
I did send my friend an email tonight asking for more details but she has yet to respond.
#7 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 02:17 AM

Yeah, well, when my first ped started giving me bf'ing advice like, limit to 10 minutes per side and give a bottle of sugar water, he became my ex-ped in a hurry. I'm just sorry for all the moms in his practice who listen to him.

Frickin' moron peds. (pet peeve, can you tell? )

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 08:49 AM

Tammi, PM if your friend lives in Sommerville, because maybe I could help with the name of a good ped. Although I am sure you could too.
#9 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well, when my first ped started giving me bf'ing advice like, limit to 10 minutes per side and give a bottle of sugar water, he became my ex-ped in a hurry. I'm just sorry for all the moms in his practice who listen to him
Wow, 10 minutes?? I have to give my baby only 5 minutes on one side, or sometimes she won't eat on the other!! Sometimes she is even too full after that!! I don't limit her time on the second breast, though, but if she seems like she will be on there for a while, I would put her back on the first side...that hasn't happened yet, though.
#10 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

MamaOui~
She lives in New Hampshire.
You live in Somerville, huh???
#11 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 02:08 PM

Nope. But I used to. I live in western MA now.
#12 of 15 Old 02-28-2003, 06:59 PM

Is the baby actually throwing up or just spitting up? My sons all spit up, sometimes an hour or more after eating. If it's just spitting up then there's nothing to worry about. It will get better as they get bigger. If the baby is really throwing up (you can see their stomach convulsing when they throw up) then I would think there is something like a virus or other illness to look into. There's no way I'd give my kids any kind of caffeine at such a young age. They'd be climbing up the walls (found out by mistake when Starbucks gave me regular instead of decaf ! )!
#13 of 15 Old 03-02-2003, 01:08 PM

I do know that some cultures (latin and in germany too I think) use Chamomille tea for babies with gastrointestinal upset. But it doesn't have caffeine and I don't know if they add sugar. Maybe chamomille homeopathic would work too I guess. But that sounds really stupid to give caffeinated tea with sugar. Why not just coke or pepsi then ? LOL
#14 of 15 Old 03-02-2003, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

So, I guess the baby isnt throwing up all the time. From what my friend told me. She said she gave it to him(tea) once, he seemed to like it.... but puked a little after..
The doctor told her that caffeine helps settle the belly....
The doctor also told her that with his healthy weight he shouldnt need to nurse every 2 hours, to nurse him every 3 hours and if he gets fussy before 3 hrs to ive him the tea......

What really bites is that this is my friends first time nursing so she will probably believe what this dr has to say...
I have to write her another email..
#15 of 15 Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 PM

Sounds like your friend has an uphill battle as long as she stays with this ped. Does she have any interest in going to LLL meetings? They really helped me trust my instincts when I was a first time mom. Why aren't peds required to get training in bf before they give out such stupid (and possibly dangerous) advice

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page