Can a breastfed baby's stool be solid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-07-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that a couple of times, ds has had some solid stool in his diaper making it such that I could not just throw it in the diaper bin. As far as I know, he has had no solids and is exclusively breastfed. He's 8 mos. Is this what happens as they get older? The stool just solidifies or could it be that he's gotten solid food somehow? TIA!!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#2 of 7 Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM

DS had a solid stool this afternoon (he's about 3 mos.)--it's his first, and he seemed a bit constipated (didn't poop yesterday and usually does every day)...I'm wondering if it's a lack of something in my diet or maybe some mild dehydration due to the warmer weather? He's exclusively breastfed, no solids...
waiting to see what everyone says...
:
#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Pen

My dd's stool became formed when she was about eight mos. She was ebf and was not constipated. I was wondering the same thing at the time but later found out that stool normally becomes formed at that time anyway - even before solids.
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 PM

My daughter's stool became solid around that time, but my son's was still runny. I think that the difference was their systems-- my son did not digest anything other than breastmilk well, and was not ready to digest solid foods until he was much older. My daughter had a much easier time of it, her digestive tract was more mature than her brother's.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM

My 8 month old had a few in a row with quite a bit of solidness....like thick peanut butter, really. But now he's back to the more familiar watery consistency. So in my case, I'm thinking maybe it was warmer weather and slight dehydration, since it went back to "normal". Oh, and he also seemed to have to strain a tiny bit to pass those more solid poops, but not at all to the point where it was concerning. Just something I noticed.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 04:04 AM

My 4 month old had solid stools when she had a cold, because she couldn't swallow very well because of the phlegm. My doctor said she was a bit dehydrated, and prescribed a decongestant so she could eat well. I don't know about older kids. I can't remember the poop of my oldest!
#7 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 AM

I think it all depends on the kid. Some kids only go every few days, my DS goes every day at 10 and 4 like clockwork.

His stools were still runny until just recently and if he's been nursing a lot, they still are.

But, I do remember a couple of times that I had scenarios just like yours.

Probably nothing to worry about if he's been nursing like normal.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page