can I do this when dd is 1?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-28-2003, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

My dd is in daycare three days per week. She is starting to get some solids now and drinks plenty of bm (mostly morning and at night). When she is not in daycare she usually feeds in the am, once around 2, and then before dinner. This is not my schedule it is hers. She has never been one to really demand the boob. Anyway, if she drops the 2 pm feeding when she gets a little older (she is currently 10 months old) would it be ok to not pump for daycare? Right now as it is, I am only sending about 6 ounce-that is all I get when I pump when she is not here. Also, there have been some occasions where the daycare provider has given her all the bm in the am so that she goes all day with out it and just gets water: I have a friend whos dd started daycare when she was a year old and she did just fine wth out bm during teh day. ALso, I am planning on avoiding the use of cow's milk when dd is one. Is almond or rice a good alternative? Any other alternatives out there. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 PM

Hi Vermonter!

I stopped pumping when dd was 11 1/2 months old. Prior to that I was pumping 2x a day and going home to nurse her during lunch. She was never a big ebm fan, so I figured I'd drop one pumping session and see. Then, I dropped the other pumping session and dd was fine. I tried giving her some cow's milk as supplement, but she wasn't too interested. I also give her rice milk, soy milk (although I recently heard bad things about this) and buttermilk. She likes the rice milk and the buttermilk the best and she's 13 1/2 months old now. I think you would be fine cutting out the dc pumping. As long as your supply is ok for when you are with her. I posted a message asking how other women know that their supply isn't suffering. So far, I am still nursing dd 4-5 times a day (including nights) and my supply is a little less, but dd also isn't as interested in eating. A lot of the times it is a comfort thing. Anyway, I'm not sure if this helped you, but I think at this age, you can experiment with cutting out the pumping sessions. Good Luck!:

Libby
#3 of 6 Old 03-01-2003, 04:27 PM

Only 2 nursings/EBM feeds a day doesn't sound like enough milk to me, for a 10 mo old or a 12 mo old.

Perhaps you have a huge storage capacity? Could she be chugging down 10 oz in one feed? More likely 8 oz tops. How long are those sessions? When you are working she is only getting 2 nursings a day, plus (as you say, "only") 6 oz at daycare? No formula? Just water? Rice, soy and nutmilks do not have the nutritional value of your own milk, by a long shot.

Milk is meant to be a baby's biggest source of protein for 2 years. Ricemilk is basically white rice. Soy has it's drawbacks too. Human milk is perfect food for human babies. Is she eating much in the way of protein foods yet? Is she digesting them, or are foods still coming out sort of unchanged?
#4 of 6 Old 03-04-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

hi,

thanks for the response. dd has always been a super fast eater-no longer than 6 minutes per side and only nurses on one side per session. she has always gained well-she is almost 25 lbs and about 30 inches tall. we have never suplemented with formula. She always seems satisfied and stops the feedings when she is done. She also nurses during the night-about 2 times. DaryLLL does this sound alright? I think that my supply has usually been pretty good-although it does appear to be lessening-especially since I was really sick this past week. Please let me know what you think-now you have me worried.
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2003, 08:56 PM

I went back to work at 10 months, and actually never pumped. DS drank H20 only, and actually wasn't eating a lot of solids. He nursed like crazy all night though DS is 2 1/2... still going strong.

I have an aunt who went back unexpectantly at 3 months (her dh died) and her ds refused a bottle. He would just drink water while she was at work (~8 hours/day) and breastfeed like crazy at night. Her ds was 3 1/2 before he quit.

I have another aunt who taught school (went back at 6 weeks) and couldn't pump (nice progressive school, huh?) and bf for over 2 yrs.... another cosleeper/night nurser.

I think the big thing if you want to stop pumping and maintain supply is night nursing/cosleeping. That, in my humble opinion, seems to be the biggest factor in determing how long the bf'ing relationship continues.

As far as a milk supplement, I guess I don't necessarily think you have to give your child some sort of milk (besides yours of course). You can get all the good stuff in foods like yogurt which is a lot easier on the digestive track as far as dairy foods go and just give water.

Trust your instincts.... and DON"T WORRY!
#6 of 6 Old 03-06-2003, 06:41 PM

I think Indigomama's post is right on target. The key is the co-sleeping. At least that is the case with us. Even though dd nurses on average 4-5 x a day (and I don't pump at work anymore/see above post), when she needs more, she will nurse more at night and when I come home from work. She seems satisfied and has always been in the 90% for weight and height. She drinks minimal outside stuff (soy, rice milk, etc) and mostly takes in water, even though I offer the other products. When I was giving her ebm, she still wasn't drinking it. So, play it by ear and see what works best for you and your baby. No one can tell you exactly what to do since they are NOT in your shoes, nor do they have YOUR baby. Good Luck to you! Trust yourself!

Libby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page