How would I know if I became pregnant again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2003, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing an 8 m.o. We just started a little bit of solids. I work full-time, pump for him at work.
I nurse him every 2 or 3 hours at night. I have a 5 year old as well.

I'm completely and utterly exhausted! We use condoms, uh, almost all of the time. I haven't had a pp period yet. How would I know if I became pregnant again?

I'm pretty sure my exhaustion is from nursing/pumping/working/taking care of the kids, but wondering if I could possibly have pregnancy exhaustion, too???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 11:41 PM

I wondered this myself before I got my period back (when ds was 20 months old!). My first pregnancy I had a little heartburn and nausea in the beginning, but there's no guarantee that would happen the 2nd time around.

I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to let you know that I've wondered the same thing.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:05 AM

I've wondered that too! My ds is 10 months old. With dd, I didn't begin ovulating again until 18 months postpartum, so I'm not really expecting my period yet. But sometimes I do wonder- gee, I haven't had my period yet, is it because I'm breastfeeding or because I'M PREGNANT AGAIN?!!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:12 AM

Uh... If your belly became big, and you felt something inside that wasn't gas, I'd go see a midwife....
Old 03-01-2003, 01:18 AM

I've wondered the same thing! This may sound a bit silly but, can you ovulate without a period? I didn't think you could, but sometimes I get that feeling I am?? MamaJulie-You sound very busy ,I'm exhausted for you!!!!! I hope you get some well deserved rest!!

Old 03-01-2003, 01:55 AM

simonee...LOL hilarious. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread.

mamajulie...try getting a little extra rest this weekend and see how you feel then. Maybe cut something out of your schedule for a while. Or add something relaxing. Whether or not you're pregnant, a super-tired mama isn't a fun mama. (A tired mama is a normal mama, I think.)

Oh...and it is very possible you're pregnant. At another site, one of the moms was pg well before her six weeks pp was up.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Obviously I would figure it out at 6 or 7 months pregnant. I just meant how would I know before then? Because the major first sign--a missed period--wouldn't be applicable to me right now. (I've always thought that having us bleed every month was very inefficient of mother-nature, anyway.)
Old 03-01-2003, 02:05 PM

Yes, you can ovulate without getting your period. I know of women who have gotten pregnant before their post partum periods returned. I was pretty sure I was ovulating a goof 4 months or so before my period finally returned.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:20 PM

My first tip-off that I was pregnant again was nipple soreness when ds nursed. It hadn't hurt at all since my milk came in after he was born. I couldn't figure out what was going on until it hit me one night. About 7 months after that my twins were born .

If it was easy for you to get pg the first two times and you aren't ready for number 3 yet, I'd be more careful. Dh and I weren't actually "trying" the second time, I didn't even get my period once I went off the pill to get ready for number 2 (which turned into 2 and 3) . Baby surprises are the best surprises though .
Old 03-04-2003, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanbaby
Yes, you can ovulate without getting your period.
I did and got pg during that cycle too.

I wonder how I'd know as well. Nipple soreness probably would be a good indication, since that was one of the first signs I had I was preggo.

Marcy
Old 03-04-2003, 03:53 PM

I got pregnant when ds#1 was about 10 months old and nipple soreness was my first clue
Old 03-04-2003, 05:06 PM

I got pregnant when ds was 15 months old. I never had a period - and never had ovulation signs. My first sign was very sore nipples when nursing.

Good luck
Emma

ps I am now 13 wks pregnant. When I saw my doctor, she asked the date of my last menstrual cycle. My response, "Dec 200". Her jaw dropped and then we both had a giggle!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:25 PM

I worry about it too. Sometimes I don't nurse every 4 hours (at night) so it is possible. I was in the room when someone was x-rayed and they asked me if it was possible. I said no, but started worrying right after.

You could always take a test, but then you'd be testing all the time, whenever you got worried...

I think I am going to take a test. We have been pretty chancy lately.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

My entire breasts are sore, not sure if ds is starting to teethe (he's 8 mo., no teeth yet), or if a period is pending, or if I'm pregnant. I also have a serious headache so I think maybe I have a period coming on.

User Tag List