how many calories does breastfeeding burn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find contradicting information on the net. Most websites seem to say something about 500-600 calories. Another said 1500-1800, or did they misphrase it meaning a lactating woman should eat so many calories in a day? Another one said 300-600. Now 300 calories seems to be very little when you're exclusively nursing, how would any baby put on weight on 300 calories?

Please enlighten me.

edit: please move I thought I was in the breastfeeding forum, must have clicked the wrong one on the ad page.
#2 of 4 Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 PM

I didn't find this in the BF board...so I thought I'd reply here...

I remember it being 'up to 1000calories' burned a day (extra!) for exclusive bfing

Having said that...it may mean that you only burn 500 a day exclusively nursing a 3 month old, but 1000 calories if exclusively nursing a 10month old!

I exclusively nursed dd until she was almost 1 yr old...she had NOTHING else in her mouth but breast milk until then...and I know I was eatting like a horse and still losing/maintaining weight!
#3 of 4 Old 05-13-2006, 02:14 PM

I've read that the average is supposed to be 500-700 calories per day. I think that 1800 calories is the minimum Mom should be eating and that suggested is about 2700 per day.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#4 of 4 Old 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM

I just borrowed a book from LLL about nursing and trying to lose weight, and the author said the 2700 calories often suggested is too much for many BFing moms (particularly those who worked outside the home prior to SAHMing) and suggested 2200 or so for most average-sized moms to maintain weight while nursing. I am a much larger than average-sized mom and I am losing on about 2000 calories a day, so who knows?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page