superfast infrequent nurser - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-01-2003, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering about my dd who is almost 4 months old - she nurses only 4 or 5 minutes at a time, on only one side at a feeding, and won't nurse again for another 2 to 3 hours. It's so strange to me, because my ds, who is now 3 and still nursing, would marathon nurse for 45 minutes at a time every hour and a half to 2 hours when he was a baby.

DD has a pretty intense temperament, and when she seems fussy I offer her the boob and she flips out - I means arches her back and screams - if she doesn't want it - which is most of the time. She has a whole routine - she has to suck her thumb first and get into position and then pop her mouth rapidly from the thumb to the boob. She hardly ever nurses to fall asleep, but she nurses okay during the night lying next to me, but only a few times a night. She's growing well and pees plently, but only poops a few times a week, which the doctor has said is okay.

I guess my question is, is this enough for her to nurse? I don't feel like 4 minutes every 2 hours is enough, for her and for me! I miss vegging out and cuddling a nursing baby. Does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas to help her mellow out and nurse more?It's funny but when people ask how she nurses and I tell them, they say "you're lucky she's quick now that you have an older one to chase around after." but I feel like I'm not bonding with her as well as I did with ds brecause of it. Am I just being a whiner and I should adjust? Help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-01-2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zzmommy
I'm wondering about my dd who is almost 4 months old - she nurses only 4 or 5 minutes at a time, on only one side at a feeding, and won't nurse again for another 2 to 3 hours. It's so strange to me, because my ds, who is now 3 and still nursing, would marathon nurse for 45 minutes at a time every hour and a half to 2 hours when he was a baby.
Ummm... this is my kiddos, too!! Dd#1 was exactly like your dsand dd#2 is like dd! And even with the one side for 5 mins every 2-3 hours she managed to gain 1/2 lb to 1 lbs a week. As long as she is having good wets, I wouldn't worry. As I have discovered, the babes are all so different (duh ). It felt so strange to me as well, but I think of it this way. At least I can sit down to nurse anytime anyplace since I know it will be quick!!
#3 of 6 Old 03-01-2003, 11:31 PM

Have you read the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? They talk about different nursing styles. Sounds like your dd is a "barracuda." and a self-soother, as evidenced by the thumb sucking, as well. I can see how you'd be disappointed after all the precious cuddling times you experienced and expected again.

All babies are different.
#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2003, 04:55 PM

My 2 month old 14 pounder is the same way she nurses for 5 minutes tops then screams, punches, kicks etc until I give her a pacifer. She wants nothing to do with the boob when she is done eating. My midwfe says some babies are just very effienet suckers. Since she's in the 95th weight percentile I am not too worried about it

Amy :
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2003, 02:47 PM

That is exactly like my Lily. She has been nursing like that since she was born.

I think the worst part about it is having to listen to my family tell me that she isn't eating enough or that maybe I should switch to bottles because she doesn't like nursing. :

She wants the paci as soon as she is done nursing. I have tried offering the breast for comfort, but she doesn't want it. She will take her paci and snuggle up to my breast though - she just has no interest in MY nipple for anything other than food. :
#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM

As much as I don't like to use generalizations...

but is this a girl thing? I've heard that girls are better at self-soothing. My experience has been the same as the others. Ds could nurse all day. Dd has always been very "efficient" and a thumb-sucker. Some of my friends have experienced this too. Just wondering...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page