sore sore breasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2003, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd is only 6 days old.....and my breasts have already become incredibly sore - I have like water blisters on them - then they pop and turn like a really dark color (i guess its a scab) and then the scab breaks off as she is nursing and my nipple looks all bloody.

i nursed ds with no problem. why is this happening this time around? it seems i can't really get her to open her mouth wide enough but she seems to take in more than just my nipple. i have aired out my breasts - i bought this breast creme but i am apprehensive about using it...

is there anything else i should try?

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 01:48 AM
bec

My suggestion would be to make sure you have a really good latch before letting her nurse. Make sure that her tongue is in a good position, and that her lips are puckered out, and not getting sucked in too.

As far as nipple cream, Lansinoh is your friend! It's medical grade lanolin. I haven't found anything that is gentler and more soothing to cracked skin. And it is perfectly fine for the baby to nurse with. I know DD didn't particularly care for the taste, but I have to admit to not being all that sympathetic to her on that one. She eventually learned to deal with it.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:16 AM

Positioning is everything. Some babies need more time to learn than others. The only thing that helped me was to pull his upper and lower lip out every time he latched on. Eventually he learned to do it on his own. You should only have pain when she is first latching on, until you heal. If the pain continues while nursing, then you need to check the latch. I've heard that it only takes 3 minutes of a poor latch to create sore nipples, and about 2 weeks to heal.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:56 AM

I would also be checking for tounge tie just in case, if your baby is tounge tied it will help to get that seen to asap, one of the mothers here did it herself with no drama, but can't remember her name.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

bec: i guess i have to search around for that brand name cuz I haven't seen it in the general markets around here....

I am not sure what tongue tie is...what is it and how can I tell if that is what is happening?

Yeah, though I think I am healing cuz I only have pain when she latches on...so maybe we are moving forward....I hope.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

User Tag List