got a cold - good thing or bad thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been stressed out about giving my baby the cold my husband gave me. Sanitizer wipes are EVERYWHERE. But then I read that breastfeeding passes on antibodies to your baby for things that are in your system.

So is it a good thing that I'm sick? At least I'm able to pass on antibodies now that I've got the cold. It seems like a better situation than if my husband gave the cold to the baby, and I never got sick.

Also, when you have the cold or flu, does your milk production slow down? Mine seems to have a bit, or might be completely natural. Not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-18-2006, 04:04 PM

Sorry for the delay in a reply to you! I wouldn't worry about colds, sometimes they get passed on but often not as you will produce antibodies and pass them on through your milk. Illness can reduce supply but it will pick up again. Nurse frequently if this happens and drink tons of fluids.

Don't panic about baby getting a cold, this is part of life as long as it doesn't develop into something more serious. They are miserable for a while but they soon bounce back. If its any consilation my dh had a cold which I caught and it turned to flu but my ds didn't so much as have a sniffle!

Hope you are all well soon.
#3 of 3 Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpin
Also, when you have the cold or flu, does your milk production slow down? Mine seems to have a bit, or might be completely natural. Not sure.
I had a cough/cold for 5 weeks of my DS's 14 week existence in this world. She never got sick. I noticed at first that my milk production had slowed down, but her doctor said that as a nursing mama with a cold, I need to almost double the amount of water that I was drinking. I did so and milk production went back up (JUST in time before a growth spurt too).

So don't worry, it's no fun to have a cold but you will pass on your amazing antibodies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page