dumb question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-03-2003, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what are the benefits of extended nursing? and when do you become an extended nurser? how long are fornmula babies usually on formula?
#2 of 7 Old 03-03-2003, 07:14 PM
bec

All of the same benefits that a smaller baby enjoys! There is no age that breastfeeding suddenly stops being beneficial. I have even found, as my daughter has moved into toddlerhood (she'll be two in a week!) that nursing seems to provide a grounding point she can come to when she's feeling out of control. It sort of smoothes the emotional roller-coaster that marks the age. And there are still all the health benefits.

As far as what makes an extended nurser. I suppose it is a matter of perspective. I don't really consider my 2year old to be an extended nurser (maybe at 3, but not yet, certainly ). But there are those that think nursing a 6 month old is extended nursing.

I don't know for certain, but I think formula fed babies are generally given formula for at least a year. I don't know if they get formula after that.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 PM

This past week, DD age 21 months came down with the flu. It was horrible. She spent most of the time nursing b/c it was the only thing that she could keep down. Both DH and myself swear if I still wasn't nursing, she would have become dehydrated and ended up in the hospital.
#4 of 7 Old 03-03-2003, 09:18 PM

here are some good reads on ebf:

http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 11:07 AM

Believe it! DD just had her first GI illness that caused vomiting and diarrhea since she weaned...and she ended up in the hospital getting IV fluids.
I never worried when she was nursing and got sick, because her intense love of the breast meant she would get some life-giving clear liquids. This time (she is 6) she refused everything, including sips of water...I had to practically force them into her. She dehydrated in about 3 days. (I kept trying to get liquids into her, but it just wasn't enough).

That alone would convince me of the value of Extended nursing...but I also remember all the soothed hurts and calmed tantrums...the colds she didn't get because my milk gave her the needed antibodies as I sneezed and wheezed away...the calories she packed on in her marathon nursing sessions before sleep after a day of picky eating and too-busy playing .

It's not for every woman, but it sure was a great thing in this house!!
#6 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info! it will help me when i get to that point..
#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 09:11 PM

yes! even though I was sadden she was sick, dh has been pressuring me to wean here lately and it just furthered my ammunition!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page