Need advice for BF baby shower gifts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have 2 good friends with upcoming baby showers. They are both new mothers planning to BF. I would really like to give them some things that they (and I) wouldn't think of to have on hand when starting out w/ BF.

Both will be giving birth at a local hospital that I believe has a lactation consultant, so they should get some help starting out.

I am seeing a midwife and I've thought maybe I could get a reference from her for a lactation consultant that would do a home visit the first week? Maybe that's too presumptuous, but maybe a good idea?

Also, a good book on breastfeeding.

And then of course a few other things... like Mother's Milk Tea and.... help! Things for boosting supply? Treating mastitis? Treating thrush?

One is being loaned a Madela Pump-In-Style and the other doesn't have a pump yet... thinking of getting her an Avent Isis... don't know if that helps.

I am due in October and would really really like these ladies to stick w/ BF! Even if I don't end up buying all these things for them, maybe I can come up w/ a little reference list for them?

Thanks so much!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#2 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:16 PM

What a good idea!!

Best book I had for BF: The Breast Feeding Mothers Companion. This was invaluable to me.

This is controversial but I LOVED my boppy. I had 2, one for upstairs and one for down so I didn't have to drag it around everwhere. We are still using it. even though my son is 18 months. He uses to lie on and "read".

A pretty nightgown/pajama's that button or snap down the front. Great to "greet" guests both at home and in the hospital. Since for the first few weeks I barely got out of my PJ's it was nice to have something new and pretty to wear that was also easy to BF in!.

A new mother "gift bag" with Lansinoh cremes, epsom and/or sea salts for sitz baths, a few other pampering things like that.

A sling- great for baby wearingand snuggling but a child can also easily nurse on once and frees up Mom's hands.

Good group gift: A really comfortable chair and/or ottoman. My mom gave me a wonderful wide rocker with footstool. Great for nursing.

Another great group gift: A gift certificate for a few visits from a postpartum doula. Expensive but this was invaluable to me since I had no family close by. She was wonderfully supportive and really kept me going with BF even when the going got tough. A doula will also help with all aspects of mothering which again was great help to me since I didn't have family close by.

I loved my Aventi pump for Travelling. Since I am A WOHM I had a hospital quality double electric pump but for just quick jaunts out was easier to just bring the aventi and it works great.

Good luck to you and your friends!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:19 PM

Hi! How wonderful that you are doing this!
I love the book idea. I know for myself that when I have a problem, sometimes I'm not sure what the problem is or the question to ask so a good book to refer back to is great! I'm not sure which one would be good though, sorry. What about something to inspire her when the going gets tough? Like a necklace or something? Maybe a nursing necklace with some inspirational beads like a Goddess or something on it. Or a mug with "nursing mother" (or something)engraved on it for when she's nursing and needs that big glass of water!
I seem to be out of other ideas b/c you have thought of all the good ones already!
Good Luck!
#4 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:29 PM

Lansinoh, without question. That stuff is like gold. Now that I don't need it on my nipples, I use it as lipgloss!

Epsom salts or postpartum bath salts or both, for sure.

Maybe some coupons for "I'll watch the baby tonight/today/this afternoon" or whatever. "I'll watch the baby - go to the movies!" "I'll watch the baby - take a walk with your husband!" "I'll watch the baby - here's a coupon for a massage [or a pedicure]"!

Good luck choosing and thank you for taking care of those mamas-to-be (including you!)
#5 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:34 PM

Holy cow, HollyBearsMom! I wish that you would advise the ladies coming to my shower! Those are some super cool ideas. I especially like the idea of a button-front leisure type suit. I bet you could find something really cute at j.crew or l.l. bean.

And I think lansinoh makes a lovely part of a pampering-for-mama package.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:48 PM

pajamas! great idea. A three piece set works best. I love my Boppy too. I can't believe I made it through two children without it.

My friend gives nursing baskets to all her friends. They include: lansinoh, Womananly art of Breastfeeding (So That's What They Are For is also a good one too), water bottle, snacks, nursing pads, burp cloths, and some other stuff but i can't think.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 06:51 PM

For great nursing pajamas try www.mamaspajamas.com

Books (Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, The Baby Book), a Boppy (I love 'em!).

That's great that you're doing that!

Check the LLL website for a catalog of books, etc.
#8 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 07:55 PM

maybe some good cloth nursing pads?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 08:07 PM

Things I wish people had given me:

Jammies/comfy clothes that button or snap and are okay to greet company or run kids to school in.

Shirts that button and don't need ironed. The two flannels my mom gave me for xmas are going to be threads before I go back to work. They're all I have!

Healthy snacks to leave on the table by my "nursing spot".

A pretty, beads-on-elastic bracelet (or several). I refused to wear a safety pin on my bra this time and kept forgetting where we'd left off until someone at MDC mentioned her seed bead bracelet. SUPER idea. I wish I had several to match everything.

Lunch or dinner post-partum. I'm supposed to eat and take care of myself, right? Well, getting dinner is a major challenge. Gift certificates to places that deliver are good, too.

Company after all the regular company has cleared out. This can do wonders. I finally broke down and called people and said, "COME BACK! I'm lonely!" after everybody had left us alone for a couple days.

I think a lot of moms give up because they're just so tired and they think they have to do everything they did before baby arrived. Clean her house, run an errand or two, make or send over dinner. Anything to lighten her load so she can appreciate nursing her baby instead of worrying about what other things she SHOULD be doing.

Oh...one thing I wouldn't offer a new nursing mom: "If you need someone to watch the baby so you can go out, call me." Argh! It's nice that people say this, but if I'm breastfeeding, you can't take the baby!!! Duh. I didn't come with the detachable kind of boobs. I'm a standard model, see. lol
#10 of 20 Old 03-04-2003, 08:13 PM

At my first's baby shower we got a glow worm (you know a stuffed animal that lights when you hug it). At the time I thought ugh this is a toy for a child who sleeps alone. But it was great for latching on in the middle of the night! Especially for my second, It could stay right by our pillows and no one hurt thier head on it, it was dim enough that it didn't disturb dh or my 19 month old, and enough light that I could get my newborn latched on without getting up to turn on a light!!

I also love cold packs on engorged breasts, but some people prefer hot, we had a pack that you could freeze or microwave and was cloth covered and soft even when frozen.

I also think boppy's or water bottles are great too.
#11 of 20 Old 03-05-2003, 01:57 PM

The Isis is a great gift, even if she eventually gets an electric pump, it is sometimes helpful to have a hand pump for increasing supply.

I like the breastfeeding consultant idea, but I've had some bad experiences with them, perhaps the phone number to LLL would be more useful? I don't know. I've heard lots of ladies here tell horrible stories about LC's (hopefully it's a fluke.)

I like the nursing pajamas idea and bobby pillows are much used in our house.

Marcy
#12 of 20 Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your great ideas. I should be able to get a really nice basket together for each of them. I picked up "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" at the bookstore and am reading it myself

Boppy's are pretty mainstream, I know one of them has one already!

It's fun that all the Easter stuff is out already, these baskets are going to look really cute!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be here regularly in the fall! *Fingers crossed*

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#13 of 20 Old 03-05-2003, 05:35 PM

JMO, but I liked the My Brest Friend (stupid name, I know) pillow more than the Boppy. One, it fit better, and two, it had a velcro strap around the back so it would stay in place. You might want to comparison shop and see which you like better.

The Lansinoh disposable nursing pads are great - thin and absorbant, and the Blis leakage inhibitor system is wonderful. Stopped leaking for me!

If either of your friends is going back to work, Nursing Mother, Working Mother by Gale Pryor is invaluable. The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver by Claire Martin is awesome - it had references to some problems that none of my other 8 or so breastfeeding books had.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#14 of 20 Old 03-05-2003, 09:14 PM

A years' subscription to Mothering Magazine, of course! Someone gave me that when I had my first and it changed my life.

Or give her a years paid dues to LLL, ($37, along with the #'s of her local Leaders), then she gets their mag New Beginnings, as well as all the invaluable hands-on, mother to mother help.

A maid. Oh, someone to clean the bathroom and kitchen and do the floors!

How about a gift cert to Motherwear? It's expensive, but their t-shirts are great.
#15 of 20 Old 03-06-2003, 04:22 PM

I wish someone had given me magic caffeine pills that don't end up in my breastmilk.

You ladies are all so smart. Invent something, please.
#16 of 20 Old 03-06-2003, 08:18 PM

#17 of 20 Old 03-07-2003, 11:37 AM

i wish i'd had a copy of dr. jack newman's book ( i think it's bfing book of answers... very similar title to the LLL book) long before i needed it... i bought it out of desperation 4 mos after ds was born and i think bfing would have gone a lot smoother if i'd had it when he was first born. it's a problem-solution type book.

i second DaryLLL's idea about motherwear gift certificate. around the house i usually wear 'normal' shirts but the motherwear shirts are great for discrete nursing in public, plus they have a lot of really cute styles for spring that i call 'incognito' shirts- great for new moms that may be nervous/anxious about NIPing.

good luck to you and your friend!
#18 of 20 Old 03-07-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chellemarie
I wish someone had given me magic caffeine pills that don't end up in my breastmilk.

if you get some, share with the rest of us!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#19 of 20 Old 03-07-2003, 03:30 PM

A dimmer switch for the bedroom light with a note saying your dh will install it.

Astroglide for umm, well, someday she'll feel like doing it again, and many nursing moms don't understand that things are a little different for a while.

The Nursing Mothers Companion, by Kathleen Huggins. I liked the LLL book, but this one has more hard info you need in the middle of the night.

Really nice cloth nursing pads.

Permission to sit around with her boobs hanging out.
#20 of 20 Old 03-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Anything from Motherwear - clothing, nursing p.j.'s, breast nurse hot/cold pads, a nursing stool... Their website is www.motherwear.com They have a great return policy, so if the gift recipients don't like something, it shrinks in the wash, or whatever, they can return it and get a new one or something else. so great that you're focusing on breastfeeding rather than just the silly pink/blue baby clothes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page