Need Help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone..
I have not posted in a while but I have recently come to a place where I am at a loss.

My daughter will be 1 on March 8th.

I have a wonderful, happy, loving baby. I breastfeed on demand and she has slept with us since birth. I had a natural birth at home and she has never been away from us.

At 6 months she started waking allot at night and it has continued. She will wake every half hour to every 2 hours. I am her pacifier, bottle, blankie, music, ect.. I am her only comfort.

I am really tired of not sleeping well, not having a night with my husband, not being able to go out at night. I am a singer and desperately need music to make me happy and until I can leave at night I will not be able to sing. I am tired and never know how much sleep I actually get.

On the other hand... I have no idea how to wean her.. I would like to night wean her and nurse in the day. I am trying to do this in the least traumatic and gentle way possible but I dont see how ….. I leave, or let her cry.

My husband feels I should go away for a night or two and be with her during the day.... that way, she knows I am gone and that she has to sleep with out me. The few times I have left her, she did fine. Daddy put her to sleep (during the day) and she was great.... she sleep longer then she ever has for a nap and woke in a good mood. So, he feels that having me away will be easier on her and me. I cant listen to her cry... in fact we never let her cry for long.

So..... am I thinking to much about this? Is this really a big deal? I feel so conflicted. I want to be free to sleep but I know how much she loves to nurse. I had a horrible night last night…. At some point I started crying because I wanted to sleep so bad. I wake up sore from sleeping a certain way all night…. She is attached.

So, what I want to know is…. How to do this. I need suggestions, stories, ideas, ect…..

Should I leave for a few days? Is that to traumatic? Do I sleep in a different room? Move her out of our room?
I don't want to stop sleeping with her and I think weaning and having her out of our bed is to much…. Is this possible? Should we let her cry….. And she will cry.
Please, any help would be great. I need to figure this out soon and just do it.. I am so wishy washy about the whole thing that at this rate it will never get done. Please…… suggestions?

I also posted this in nightwaking and the family bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 02:45 PM

I nightweaned using water and snacks instead of bf, and it worked great. Of course, this meant I had to get up and go to the kitchen at midnight, but then dh started taking over this job for me.

I would try staying away for one night and seeing how she does. You don't have to remove her from the bed to nightwean, just find substitutes for it. All my kids used binkies for varying lengths of time, so that helped us, but they weren't always necessary.

Also try Dr. Jay Gordon's site, it has a lot of good strategies for nightweaning. Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you...
Good ideas.
I will try and do this.
#4 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 09:41 PM

It started at 6 mos.? Is she teething? Some teeth, particularly the upper molars, can take a very long time to come in. My DS, now two and thank (deity of choice) finally finished with his 2-year molars, always slept horribly when his teeth were coming in. I felt like Mom's All Night Diner. Have you tried any teething remedies?

fizzymom and the clan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page