Mothering Forum banner

Clogged Clogged Clogged

826 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kater07 
#1 ·
My DD is almost 6 mos old. Every couple of weeks since she's been about 2 mos old, I have had issues with clogged ducts. I go a week or two and everything's fine, and then BAM, I'm clogged on one side or both for a week straight. I haven't been able to link it to anything specific. Today I'm so sore and clogged on one side that I'm going to go to my health club after lunch (am at work now) and stand under a hot shower to see if that will help. I'm wondering if my nursing bras could be causing it? Or if it has to do with my diet? Or maybe with my pump (I use a Medela Pump in Style) Any suggestions?

TIA

M

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a few suggestions from my experience. You could be getting them from a too small or underwire bra. Your pump in style should be good but you might not be pumping for long enought to completely empty your breasts as well as the baby does when you are together. Like nursing frequently and pumping durring the weekends to have milk for Monday morning and then going to only pumping durring the week. Your could freeze your Friday milk to be used on Monday and not pump also on Sunday. This might be what you do anyway. Just a suggestion. HTHs. Good luck I know it can be frustrating.

#3 ·
I don't do underwire, but I did wonder if my bra might be too small. Although I have a bra that's too big, and have noticed that I get clogged even when I've been wearing it. It's strange.

I have a really hard time letting down when I pump. I have to massage pretty hard to get anything out. So the massaging might be causing the clogging, or like you said, I just might not be getting emptied enough.

I'd like to take Sundays off, but my supply is so borderline I usually have to pump quite a bit on the weekends to use to supplement through the week.

#5 ·
My LC told me that side nursing was a bad idea if you are prone to cloggs. Also, get a bra with no wires.

The best way to remove a clog is to NURSE NURSE NURSE and PUMP PUMP PUMP...

Try hanging your breast in a bowl of hot water and massaging the spot.

Sorry you are in pain!

Katie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.