Failure to Thrive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2006, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend of my SIL's just had her second baby. He is 4 1/2 wks old and has lost so much weight. He's back to his birth weight now but is SO small looking. What can she do? I've never had this problem and don't know what to recommend.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Is she nursing? How is his elimination? Is he lethargic? Responsive? If her supply isn't great it could be an issue, if he isn't feeding well it could be an issue, if he has allergies or structural problems...the list goes on and on. The good news is that there is always something you can do. It's just a matter of finding the root of the problem.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM

Has she had a before-nursing and after-nursing weight check done? It's possible that she has the milk but baby isn't transferring well. Has she spoken with an LC?

A happy woman
Old 05-26-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could answer these questions. Going to send the link to this thread to my SIL. She knows way more than I do about the situation. Thank you!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 05-27-2006, 11:29 PM

Hi,

I'm Amy's SIL. Thanks for sending me this thread, Amy!

My friend is nursing and is very dedicated to breastfeeding. She has been seeing a very pro breastfeeding nurse practioner since he was born. He is 4 1/2 weeks old and just got to his birth week at 4 weeks and 1 day. I'm not sure if he is lethargic..it is so hard to tell this early...newborns sleep so much. He nurses better if she is laying down. He is having wet and poopy diapers. He has improved a lot, but still has a way to go. He has very little fat on his body. She is nursing and pumping. He will nurse non stop and take all of the bottles they offer also. Her dh is doing the bottles after he finishes nursing. He doesn't cry much. He'll have fussy days, but in general, he is pretty quiet.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2006, 01:06 AM

How long are the stretches of sleep? IT's not so much about how much as it is about if the infant is rousing to feed of his/her own volition.

WHy is she pumping? Does she have a supply probelm? Has is been established that the milk transfer isn't happening? Have they weighed the baby pre and post feeding to see what he's getting? Bottle feeding is a great tool if needed, but it can really interrupt with feeding. Babies will take far more food from a bottle than from the breast because of the faster flow and the fact that milk becomes homogenized for all intents and purposes. It would be better if they need to supplement to use either an SNS or a lactaid so the baby gets all the nourishment at the breast and she gets more stimulation. A pump is not the same thing mechanically as a baby.

How many wet and poopy diapers? What are they like? Is she seeing tyical breastfed baby poop? IS it green? IS there mucous?

If he nurses better laying down there may be a slight structural issue. She may want to have him evaluated by a CST or experienced chiropractor. If he's tight on one side, or his neck is out of alignment it can affect the way he is feeding and even digesting food. This is especially pertinent if he's spitting up. It's very gentle, non invasive and can make all the difference.

It sounds like things are picking up. WHat's the biggest concern at this point?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:03 AM

I would see a LC as soon as you can. They can help. My baby was "failure to thrive" and she still had wet/poopy diapers so I'm not so sure that is an indicator. If the mama feels like something is amiss, then she should certaintly get some outside help/advice from someone who can see the baby. Maybe try a pre/post weight to see how much milk baby is getting. Good luck
Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 AM

I was a failure to thrive baby. I was breast-fed as usual and introduced to solids. I was always very small, at 15 months old I weighed 15 lbs. Then when I was about 18 months old I began throwing up anything besides breast-milk. I was unable to eat until I was over 3 years old so I was exclusively breast-fed. At some point my body healed itself of whatever was wrong and I began to be able to eat foods but only red foods at first. Yes really, only red foods (my mother even tried to fool me with food coloring and it didn't work). I could eat watermelon, beets, red meat, tomatoes etc. but would throw up anything else. Gradually I was able to eat more regular foods. I finally weaned when i was almost 4. I am happy to report I attained a normal height for my family and have been a very healthy person as an adult Not sure what this has to do with the original topic but thought I'd share. I guess it's to say that even if the baby is "failing to thrive" breast-milk is THE BEST thing she can do for him. I personally wouldn't be here without it. I wouldn't worry about it at all as long as he is making progress.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 05-29-2006, 06:31 PM

I agree about seeing an LC. they might be able to help pinpoint any problem if there is one.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:54 PM

I would give up the bottles & pumping......just NURSE. If she's really worried about his weight gain or thriving I would throw those bottles out the window.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 AM

Thanks so much everyone!

The baby is gaining weight. He has gained 8 ounces in the last six days. She has been nursing and pumping.

I'll keep you updated. She is looking into a good chriropractor. How do you find a good one that is familiar with infants?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 AM

Just wanted to let you know that dd took 4 full weeks to reach her birth weight, and was never even thought to be FTT. My theory is that I was given SO much IV fluid that she came out carrying a lot of water weight, and peed it all out first chance she got. She dropped from 8lb.7oz at birth to 7lb.15oz leaving the hospital.

She nursed and nursed, although she was somewhat lazy at the breast. As long as she was happy, healthy, hydrated, having sufficient #s of poopy and wet diapers, I did not worry. I had to argue a lot with the NP (woman) who wanted me pumping and supplementing with pumped milk or formula. Finally the doc (man) intervened and said, just nurse. She (dd) obviously knows better than we do what she needs.

She is 4 and weighs 30 pounds. Her weight has always been down around 6th percentile, while her height is at 90th. As I told them from day, she is built like her Dad (6'1" and 165 lbs.), and has his metabolism.

Just another experience for you to consider. I agree w/others, to quit pumping and supplementing, and just nurse. There are always babies that wreck the curve!!

Good luck to the mama
Judi
Old 05-31-2006, 04:15 PM

I am glad he has gained weight. I just want to quickly tell my story. My baby had a similar weight gain issue. After everyone (pediatricians, nurses in the hospital, my mother-in-law, and my DH insisted that
I supplement, I hired a wonderful lactation consultant who diagnosed tongue tie. After we clipped him at 5 weeks, HE WAS FINE My milk fully came in a week later and today (2 1/2 months) he is a big boy. The problem and solution was soooooooo simple. Too bad the doctors and nurses weren't any help (except the one who clipped him).

User Tag List