"Extended Tandem Nursers"! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-05-2003, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else has been tandem nursing for a long time?

My baby is going to be two in May so we have been tandem nursing for almost 2 years.

I don't see either of them stopping soon.

It seems like I am the only one, but I am sure there are more of you out there who have been tandeming for years

I am wondering how my family and in-laws will react, I think we will get to see everyone this summer (they all live in Kansas). I mean I am nursing two kids-you practically can't even call the youngest one a toddler any more.

Any other extendend tandem nursing problems?

But mostly I love nursing my boys, just I could live with less times nursing them together!
#2 of 18 Old 03-05-2003, 09:29 PM

I've only been doing it for 9 1/2 months! DS is 4 tomorrow so we'll go until he weans....whenever that may be
#3 of 18 Old 03-05-2003, 09:42 PM

I'm no longer nursing at all but I did nurse for 5 years ~ two years with one and three and a half with two. I'm so grateful to have had the experience! I really, really miss it! There is nothing like it in the world!
~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#4 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 AM

#5 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 01:42 AM

My 3 1/2 just weaned a few weeks ago. I tandem nursed for almost 14 months.
#6 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 02:30 AM

I am nursing DD, 4 years and DS, 18 months. While DS nurses almost non-stop, DD is down to about once a week. I am really glad to have shown DD (hopefully she will remember) what breasts are *really* for

I think most people assume DD is weaned. I am always ready with a response though, if people ask when I'm going to wean DS, "Well, I think we'll wait till DD weans" which will really freak them out!

Kay

#7 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 10:00 AM

I'm still nursing Ani (age 3) and Cameron (17 months).
#8 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 AM

I have been Tandeming for 3years and 2mos tomorrow! Nick and Rachel for 2 years, then Nick weaned right around the time the baby was born. Now I have had my girls nursing together for 13 1/2 mos. I am pg so I will be a Trifecta!!!! I have guessed that by the time I am done having kids, I will have TNed for about 7years or so!!
#9 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 02:30 PM

Second time around tandem nursing, DS#1 & DD, he weaned at 3 (when she was 1&change) and she's still going at 3&change with DS#2 who is just 1yo ...

It's sweet sometimes, annoying other times ... but necessary all times ...

#10 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 03:42 PM

Me, too, Mallory - I've been going for as long as you have, since our kids are the same ages.

My oldest doesnt' really nurse very often, though. Just before bedtime normally. She dropped her morning nursing session a couple of months ago, and she rarely asks to nurse now when she sees dd2 nursing (2-3 months ago, she would always want to nurse when she saw dd2 nursing).

I'm pregnant again, so I wonder if that is part of it...that she's not getting a lot of milk these days, and so can't really be bothered? It wouldn't surprise me if she self-weans during this pregnancy. Which in some ways woudl be a relief (I wouldn't be nursing 3!), but in other ways would be quite sad.

Either way...it's so much easier just leaving it up to her.

Nice to know that there are so many of us here. Thanks for starting this thread, Mallory.
#11 of 18 Old 03-06-2003, 04:48 PM

You guys are my heroes! I am TTC #2 and ds is 15 mo and nursing strong. I think I will tandem nurse if ds wants it and I hope I can be as possitive as you all!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#12 of 18 Old 03-08-2003, 08:02 AM

It's 5:30 a.m. and I'm awake, having nightnursed my 1 yo and 2 1/2 yo EACH twice since our 10 o'clock-ish bedtime.

I'm pooped. But since I'm awake anyway, I thought I'd jump online and seek some support.

Tandem nursing has definite advantages, and I've been happy to have provided them for my boys, but man, tonight/this morning I'm again considering weaning the big guy ... Spring Break week is coming (no daycare, so no break for mama) and that week, coincidentally, my DH will have to be out of town for much, if not all week! My sister is a nanny with a bezillion years experience, and I'm considering moving in with her for the week and having her help me wean #1. I'm just too old for this stuff (I'll be 42 next week ... the last day of daycare before Spring Break!).

But let me recount the advantages of tandem nursing, to give me some warm fuzzies before I try to get some more sleep:

1) Less jealousy when the new baby arrives
2) Incredible sweet caressing between the boys when they TN simultaneously
3) Incredible Mama pride that I CAN DO THIS for them, extending that Birthin' Warrior Goddess pride I felt at #2's birth
4) Continued health benefits for #1 even as #2 gets 'em
5) Teaches both some patience at the times when one has to wait for the other to finish (#1 has to wait to nurse significantly more than I let #2 wait)
6) Teaches sharing Mama, too, especially since we share sleep and I get sandwiched between my boys
7) Mama's weight loss! Yikes! I weigh less now than I did before I got pg w/#1! (This is good!)
8) Reinforcing advantage 3) ... I feel like the best mama in town when I'm in my big rocker with both boys nursing simultaneously ... looking at both their faces, #2's head resting on #1's belly, both latched on and them looking at each other and at me ... *big sigh* Yeah, I'll miss that.
9) Reinforcing 1) Not only less jealousy, but more immediate understanding that #1 hasn't been displaced by #2
10) There's gotta be a 10 ... but I'm too bleary to come up with one ... and maybe 8 and 9 are cheating ...

Anybody wanna jump in on my list? Maybe you'll help me decide to continue with the self-weaning plan rather than the Spring Break plan? :

Luci
#13 of 18 Old 03-10-2003, 07:33 PM

I've been tandeming for 14 months and it looks like it will be a lot longer. It's been a really positive experience for the most part . I wish I had at least one friend irl who was tandem nursing, though.
#14 of 18 Old 03-10-2003, 11:48 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. So good to know I'm not the only one!

I've been tandem nursing for a little over two years now. DD1 is almost four years old and DD2 turned two years old a couple of months ago.

Honestly no one really knows that my DD1 still nursers other than my husband, sister, mom, and a couple close friends. I know I have nothing to hide and to the contrary should be proud of doing what's right by my dds, but I am shy of the ignorant judgements. Shame on me, huh?

I would tandem nurse a million times over! Though I admit, as you all well know, it takes dedication.

I'm so happy to hear you other mamas like me are out there! I am happy for your children.
#15 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 01:42 AM

I think this is my first time posting on the extended bf forum, but I wanted to add my experience

I'm TN my (almost)4.5 and (almost)2.5 year olds right now..although the 4.5 yo nurses maybe once every few weeks now?? he's really close to weaning if it hasn't happened already. I'm pg with #3, due in July so I'll be TN again (trust me, dd ain't weaning anytime soon!)...looks like by the time I'm done (assuming I have no more babies) I will have nursed for 8-9 years, many of those being TN !! I can't remember what it's like to not lactate LOL
#16 of 18 Old 03-17-2003, 03:52 AM

I have 2 nursing.
My oldest will be 4 in December and my baby (well Toddler ) will be 2 in August.
#17 of 18 Old 03-19-2003, 11:52 AM

Hi! I'm glad to find this thread because I just started tandem nursing my DD (5) and DS (2).

I weaned DD at 2 and a half for an emergency health reason, and then when I got pregnant I wasn't able to face the thought of TN.

Now I've finally come around. I'm so happy DD was able to relearn nursing! It took a bit of practice, but the reward of sweet warm milk was a great motivater.

Sometimes I get antsy. I've had to set limits (3 times a day - morning, afternoon and evening) to get rid of the ants. It's great seeing them gazing into each other's eyes and playing with each other's hair!
#18 of 18 Old 03-21-2003, 07:30 PM

And so far, so good.

I took my boys (DH was out of town) to my sisters for a few days, and "made" my 2.5 yo son sleep with my sister (that's "sleep with" as in sleeping, not some wierd incestuous thing) Tues, Wed, and last nights.

Tuesday night was pretty hellacious: lots of yelling, demanding to be "let go" so he could to find me, etc.

Wed night was less loud: he still woke up a few times, but was more quickly gentled back to sleep each time.

Last night, he didn't wake up at ALL! In fact, my sister woke up several times herself, just to make sure he was okay!

Part of it, I think, was that we'd gone out to dinner and he ate a bunch of sushi and rice, so his tummy was full. (He's notorious for not eating food and wanting to nurse all night to make up for it.) Today he's back to not eating much, so tonight could be wierd again ... although we're back home and his daddy will be back tonight, so maybe that will help. (Ever hopeful, I am!)

Anyway, I'm happy with my decision to just night-wean rather than wean completely. I think it was helpful to me to post here, and even though nobody responded directly, it was good to know that nobody blasted me, either.

Luci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page