It's 5:30 a.m. and I'm awake, having nightnursed my 1 yo and 2 1/2 yo EACH twice since our 10 o'clock-ish bedtime.
I'm pooped. But since I'm awake anyway, I thought I'd jump online and seek some support.
Tandem nursing has definite advantages, and I've been happy to have provided them for my boys, but man, tonight/this morning I'm again considering weaning the big guy ... Spring Break week is coming (no daycare, so no break for mama) and that week, coincidentally, my DH will have to be out of town for much, if not all week!
My sister is a nanny with a bezillion years experience, and I'm considering moving in with her for the week and having her help me wean #1. I'm just too old for this stuff (I'll be 42 next week ... the last day of daycare before Spring Break!).
But let me recount the advantages of tandem nursing, to give me some warm fuzzies before I try to get some more sleep:
1) Less jealousy when the new baby arrives
2) Incredible sweet caressing between the boys when they TN simultaneously
3) Incredible Mama pride that I CAN DO THIS for them, extending that Birthin' Warrior Goddess pride I felt at #2's birth
4) Continued health benefits for #1 even as #2 gets 'em
5) Teaches both some patience at the times when one has to wait for the other to finish (#1 has to wait to nurse significantly more than I let #2 wait)
6) Teaches sharing Mama, too, especially since we share sleep and I get sandwiched between my boys
7) Mama's weight loss! Yikes! I weigh less now than I did before I got pg w/#1! (This is good!)
8) Reinforcing advantage 3) ... I feel like the best mama in town when I'm in my big rocker with both boys nursing simultaneously ... looking at both their faces, #2's head resting on #1's belly, both latched on and them looking at each other and at me ... *big sigh* Yeah, I'll miss that.
9) Reinforcing 1) Not only less jealousy, but more immediate understanding that #1 hasn't been displaced by #2
10) There's gotta be a 10 ... but I'm too bleary to come up with one ... and maybe 8 and 9 are cheating ...
Anybody wanna jump in on my list? Maybe you'll help me decide to continue with the self-weaning plan rather than the Spring Break plan?