Continued biting; nursing is becoming a chore to endure! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2003, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I hate to come here and ask such a common question, but: what is there to do for long-term biting that is becoming more frequent?

When dd got her first tooth at 8 mo, she bit only occasionally. Now she is 14 mo with 6 teeth and bites almost every day! I do what you're supposed to do - tell her no biting and end the feeding - but she doesn't seem to be figuring it out.

Before she bites, she usually sucks slower or looks around or starts to squirm, so I try to watch for these things. Nursing has become a time of tension and trying to catch her while she's still "thinking about it." I'm making more excuses not to nurse.

I hate the thought of weaning her before she's 2, but I know other parents who did just that because they couldn't stop the biting.

Any experience you can share would be helpful! Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Greaseball! Sorry to hear about your biting baby. My dd would also bite towards the end of nursing, I did shorten her feedings, really I just didn't let her hang out there. I do think, though that it contributed to a dwindling supply, and ultimately she self weaned at 16 mo. I would have liked to nurse her longer.... Anyway, I guess I'm no help. Sorry.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Banned

Dd didn't stop biting till she was through teething (well, for now, at least). Fortunately, she didn't bite hard, and gave a fair bit of notice before she did. I, too, would tell her no, don't bite, and would cut her off if she did it twice, but she found it amusing more than anything else. : What can ya do? Is your daughter still teething? If so, is she almost done? Maybe the biting will go away once she's through.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:12 AM

Well, I just did what you are saying doesn't work for you - I say no biting, break the latch, and set him down. Half the time he was done anyway and just walks away, other times he gets upset, and I tell him that we can nurse, but if he bites again we are done nursing.

I think he has pretty much gotten it. The only times he bites now are sometimes if he is being lazy about latching on, or when he is congested and is getting frustrated trying to nurse and not being able to breathe.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:32 AM

So sorry you are going through this!

It sounds like it has been going on for some time, but I do think that 14 months is a very "bitey" age. I know DD did a major biting kick around 14 months and DS around 15 months. I don't think anything really "worked" esp with DD, they just eventually stopped.

Good luck,
Kay

User Tag List