Preventing Thrush - Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2003, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby being on antibiotics can cause thrush, right?

Well, if that's so, I need to know what I can do to prevent it. DS is on antibiotic to treat pneumonia.

Don't ask me how he got pneumonia. Nobody in the house has been sick since his birth. Since he's been coughing and hacking, we're all getting tiny colds. It's madness here.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
#2 of 6 Old 03-06-2003, 08:32 PM

Acidophilus! There are baby probiotic preparations. You can give it to him dissolved in water, and you can also put a little on your nipples. Hope he feels better soon! That must be so hard for you both!
#3 of 6 Old 03-06-2003, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay...but you probably don't mean the acidophilus that my dad drinks, huh? Where do I look for it & how much do I use?

I'd probably put it on me rather than dissolve it in water for baby.

thx!
(typing w/1hand)
#4 of 6 Old 03-06-2003, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Whoa, Chelle, I was just thinking about you. I'm so sorry the baby has pneumonia. This does go to show that you are an experienced mom who doesn't panic.

If you can digest dairy products, I would go for a yogurt with live cultures. If you can't, like me, take acidophilus and other lacto-bacilli in capsules. My midwife had me take like 6 capsules a day! I would rather eat the yogurt, if I could.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#5 of 6 Old 03-07-2003, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

captain, thanks. It's been a rough week. Every time I think this baby stuff is going to get a bit easier, we get hit with a doozy. It could be worse and I'm grateful it's not, but I keep having to remind myself, you know? Daddy's giving him a breathing treatment right now and then we're going to have to wake him to nurse. It seems so mean...he breathes better when he's relaxed and asleep.

The ped said no go on giving baby acidophilus because he's so small. Unfortunately, dh was on his way home from grocery shopping when I decided I needed stuff for this, so we'll have to make another run in the morning for acidophilus and yogurt for me. I'll just drink the acidophilus and use it in my oatmeal. I can eat yogurt. Woohoo!

Thanks for the support, ladies. I'm beat...but it's nice to have a network of knowledgeable mommies to turn to. Baptism is Sunday and we're having family over for lunch. I'm going to make them all wear dark glasses so they can't see the dirt in my house!
#6 of 6 Old 03-07-2003, 01:39 AM

Probiotics/acidophilus are fine for babies according to Dr. Sears. All they are are beneficial gut bacteria that replace the normal gut flora killed off by antibiotics. So I don't think your ped has a good basis for saying no probiotics for baby.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083100.asp

The kind we used when we were trying to get rid of thrush was Country Life Maxi Baby-dophilus, which comes as a powder in a jar, no messing around with breaking open capsules. I think it may also come as a liquid.

I would definitely feel no qualms about using probiotics to ward off thrush in my baby.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page