another pumping for going back to work question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-06-2003, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I read the thread about how often to expect a two-month-old to eat. I am currently nursing my 1 month old on demand AND pumping to amass a supply of frozen breast milk for when I go back to work. I'm also going to have to have my dh start giving him a bottle some time next week (and hope he'll take it!)

How much expressed breast milk should we plan for our 2 month old to eat at a feeding? It's kind of scary that I'm going back to work just when there is a predicted growth spurt. We just came through one of those and boy oh boy can my kid eat! Right now he's back to eating every two hours, usually about 15-20 minutes on a breast.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#2 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS would eat about 4-5 ounces per feeding (usually every 2 hours or so.)
Now that he's 6-months-old, he usually takes 6-8 ounces every 2-3 hours.

Marcy
#3 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 10:34 PM

i just went back to work and dd (3 mos) still pretty much refuses the bottle, but bakc a month or so ago, at 2 months when she still would take one, she only did like 3 oz at a time, every 2 hours roughly. with ds, we didn't do a bottle until about 6 mos, and he did about 4 oz each time, every 3 hours or so. good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 03-08-2003, 12:53 AM

Both of my kids always ate between 4 and 6 oz at a time until they were 12 months old at daycare....ds went to daycare at 3.5 months, and dd at 5.5 months. ds was a bit of a larger eater, with a 6 oz thing approx. every 3 hours during growth spurts, but otherwise went through 4'ish oz four to five times daily. dd was more like 4'ish oz three to four times daily, but was an avid nighttime nurser.
#5 of 7 Old 03-08-2003, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the kids I had in daycare took about 4 ounces every three hours. They were big babies and healthy eaters. I would recommend a goal stach of 6 punces/3 hours that you will be gone (so if you are working 8 hours you should try to have 18 ounces per day ( or 54 ounces). After about three days you will have abetter ideas of how much she is taking. Pump as much as you can though. Accidents happen (especially if you are storing it in bags), babies get hungry and parents get delayed. The more you have the safer you are.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 7 Old 03-08-2003, 05:52 PM

It can vary. Some young babies want an oz or two every couple hours, some want more, less often. to make sure there is as little waste as poss, some moms freeze the milk in a sterilzed ice cube tray, popping out the cubes when frozen and putting them in a baggie. you may want to have the care provider just defrost an or two oz at first, to see what kind of amts your baby is likely to take, at what time of day.
#7 of 7 Old 03-08-2003, 06:13 PM

My son varied between 3-6 oz about every 3 hours. What I did was to freeze bags in 3 oz increments. I had started out freezing 6 oz bags but found there was a lot of waste. After a week or so you will be able to better estimate your little ones needs and if your child has consistant caregivers (we have a nanny) she will be able to judge fairly closely how much to defrost at a time. I swear my nanny has a 6th sense when it come to these things!

You are smart to amass a supply before you go back to work. You can never have too much! This really took the stress out of pumping at work. Eventually my son self weaned but I kept pumping so that he could continue to get EBM. Towards the end when my milk supply really started dwindling it became very stressful thinking that I wasn't replenishing what he was drinking. I remember crying in my Dr's office because I was so upset that I might have to supplement with formula. None of the remedies seemed to work (like mother milk tea, etc) so it was great to have large supply of EBM if the freezer.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page