Anyone tried or heard of Domperidone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or Motilium? I just got a prescription- it is supposed to, like Reglan, help increase your milk production. I have a 10 month old and last month I had to return to work full time. DH stays home with the kiddos so that is good, but my milk production has taken a nosedive. I pump frequently at work- at least as often as I would be nursing him if I were home. I tried fenugreek and it made me stink, I smelled like maple syrup- sounds yummy but I din't smell nice. I tried lots of oatmeal, I drink lots of water, all that stuff. DS isn't ready to wean and he is getting so frustrated with the milk supply I have had to supplement with a little formula- which I hate He nurses as much and whenever he wants and eats a little solid food. I am so sad, so I got this prescription. I got motilium because it supposedly doesn't have the side effects that reglan has. I work three 12 hour days a week (I am a nurse) so I have a great hospital grade pump to use at work. I don't get much pumping either. My milk also stops flowing when DS isn't full yet. Anyone taken this drug? I hate resorting to drugs but I really don't want to short change my son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:18 PM

My dd was a preemie (29 wks) and was in the NICU for 11 weeks, PLUS I have had a breast reduction in my much younger days :

I took DPD and had GREAT results with no side effects whatsoever. I was taking 8 or 9 per day and went (literally) from pumping drops to pumping ounces.

It was fantastic for me!

Good luck!
#3 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:27 PM

It worked for me, too. After pursuing other means of increasing supply first, like you have, I had and have no reservations about taking it, especially after reading what Dr. Jack Newman has to say about it:

http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/20.htm

I have had no problems with side effects.

I guess the only thing that's a pain is getting the stuff - do you live in Canada or somewhere where it's readily available, or are you here in the States, where it's not available? I had to mail order mine from New Zealand, which was totally easy (did it via email, didn't need a prescription) but took a while. PM me if you want the contact information for the New Zealand pharmacy I got it through.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

My local phamacy is compounding it for me, I pick it up tomoprrow morning (I live in Utah). The tricky thing is going to be tring to get my insurance to reimburse for it. I looked for better deals online and I'm getting it for the same price as I see it everywhere else. She only gave me a script for 120 so I bet I will go through them quick. Hopefully I just need a little jumpstart.
#5 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane
It worked for me, too. After pursuing other means of increasing supply first, like you have, I had and have no reservations about taking it, especially after reading what Dr. Jack Newman has to say about it:

http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/20.htm

I have had no problems with side effects.

I guess the only thing that's a pain is getting the stuff - do you live in Canada or somewhere where it's readily available, or are you here in the States, where it's not available? I had to mail order mine from New Zealand, which was totally easy (did it via email, didn't need a prescription) but took a while. PM me if you want the contact information for the New Zealand pharmacy I got it through.
I got mine from the NZ pharmacy also. It was MUCH cheaper than any other place I found it
#6 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 08:56 PM

Just thought I'd post this after all in case you or anyone else needs it:

Thank you for your enquiry.

We accept Motilium orders via telephone, fax or email.
Our details:
Telephone: +678 27282
Fax: +678 26379
Free phone if calling from the US: 1 (877) 271 6591
email: hair@theoffice.co.nz

RE: MOTILIUM (Domperidone)
Motilium 10mg 100 tabs USD12
Motilium 10mg 300 tabs USD28.80
Motilium 10mg 600 tabs USD52.80
A prescription in not required to supply overseas customers.

Shipping is USD7 per order.
Shipping is via US postal services.
Please allow 10-14 days for delivery from the ship date.

Payment:
Payment by: Visa or Mastercard only (sorry our new payment system will not accept AMEX cards).
Although US prices are quoted, we are based in New Zealand so your account will be charged in NZ currency. Please be assured that the NZ pricing is the equivalent to the US price quoted.

Regards
Lisa

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 19 Old 03-07-2003, 11:50 PM

thanks jane-I've been looking for this rx! I will call on Monday

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#8 of 19 Old 03-08-2003, 12:02 AM

I started taking it after trying all other means to increase supply. My ds didn't nurse for the first 3 mos and pumping just wasn't cutting it. I was getting 5 oz a day when I finally started the meds. I went up to 13 oz a day in 2 days!! I took 2 pills 4x a day for about 3-4 weeks then slowly weaned myself off of them over another 3-4 weeks or so. My ds was just starting to nurse when I started the pills, so I took them to speed up what would probably have happened naturally. It was a lifesaver.

I also got mine from NZ. They came very fast and I didn't need an Rx.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 19 Old 03-08-2003, 03:50 PM

I've been taking 80 mg a day for five months and the only side efect is the gas It has increased my milk supply a bit, but probably about the same jump as when I started taking the fenugreek- I didn't like the way it made me smell at first, but now I don't even notice it. I am just starting to wean from the dom, now taking 40 mg a day, because I have concerns about suppressing dopamines chemically for an extended period. There are no long-term studies on that, and I'm ready to move beyond the pharmeceuticals.

The biggest boost in milk production I've had, is when dd started waking every 2 hrs at night when we were traveling during winter break...we're back to sleeping at night, except to pee a couple times...'haven't noticed a drop in my milk.
#10 of 19 Old 03-08-2003, 06:16 PM

I took Reglan for morning sickness this last pregnancy and it really messes with your head. I was in a constant state of depression and thought it was the puking. I was in the hospital for a week and the GI doctor just happened to come in right after I got an injection of Reglan. I was crying hysterically and begging to go home. He immediately took me off the Reglan and told me if that ever happened again to tell someone. It never happened again. Domperidone is different from Reglan in that it never crosses the blood/brain barrier. But, some women have reported depression with this.
Dom must be pretty good though. My friend is on a protocol right now where she takes Dom and she is going to nurse her surrogate baby after never having been pregnant.
Janie
#11 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Wow HotMama, so you noticed that smell too? No one else I have mentioned it too knows what I'm talking about. The smell doesn't bother me so much as I am afraid it might bother the people I work so closely with LOL!

I am kindof wondering about the effects of messing with dopamine but ??? I have tried everything else I can think of. Now I'm second guessing myself. Oh well, I have the meds, I paid for them, I might as well try it.
#12 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 04:25 PM

Mara- I understand what you mean about second guessing the effects. For me it was the absolute last resort. It meant getting breastmilk or formula. I wouldn't recommend it unless everything else had been tried and failed. The herbs didn't do anything for me, I drank gallons of water, ate oatmeal, anything else you can think of and I was at the end of my rope. It made the difference of continuing to bf and switching to formula.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#13 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been on it for 11 weeks as I had a breast reduction 3 years ago. I am nursing my 4 month old daughter with only 6 ounces of formula a day in the lact-aid which is really good for someone who had a breast reduction. I have had no side effects.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#14 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Banned

We used it extensively when we were breeding horses, we were the local "problem child" barn, people sent us their orphans, or mares who had lost foals. We used DP to relactate those mares or nurse mares (think adoptive mamas).

I saw it work so often without obvious side effects that I had no hesitation in using it myself.

I used it for 4 months and never had any issues as a direct result of the DP. I had issues cause Sophie *hated* to nurse, but that's another story.
#15 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 01:05 PM

I am using it right now. I have had no side effects....(just started it though) but I had horrible side effects with the reglan.

I have a friend who successfully induced lactation to feed 2 adopted babies, and she had no problems with it! just a good milk supply.

The new zealand company is good to deal with. very cheap and it comes within 7-14 days! (usually right around 10)

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#16 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Just one additional comment--I ordered my domperidone last sunday evening, and it came today, monday....so 7 days!!

Best of luck!

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#17 of 19 Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 AM

jessica,
please let me know how it's working. I ordered mine on Monday.

Thanks

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#18 of 19 Old 03-13-2003, 01:09 AM

I have been on it for about 7 months ~ What is it that I have to worry about since using it long term? I was planning to use it till ds was a year old and then wean myself off of it as he wouldnt be needing as much milk. Should I be worried about using it? ~Deb
#19 of 19 Old 03-13-2003, 01:25 AM

Deb, you may want to try weaning off it - you may not need it any more. Read these:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/domperidone_01-03.html

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/domperidone2_01-03.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page