Can I bf while taking this prescription?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2003, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I've got a 1 wk old dd (triumphant VBA2C!) and just found out I've got an infection-noticed a difference in bleeding. Anyway, I've been given a prescription for Flagyl (generic-metronidazole) and it says not to breastfeed while taking this medication as it is excreted in breastmilk. I know that some meds get in your breastmilk and they say it is still ok to bf. Is this just a generic warning or can I not breastfeed? What will I do? I don't have near enough pumped to feed her for 7 days and, of course, I have to get rid of this infection. Will I have to pump and throw it away? I've thought of calling a pharmacist, but when I have in the past they usually say to call my doc. And I would have to wait til Monday to call him and he's an idiot to begin with (long story there!). Ok, I'm trying not to panic--but she's been doing sooo good!
Thanks for any help!
Jaci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 01:30 AM

Call the pharmacist and try getting a hold of your doc. Surely someone is on call for him/her over the weekend. If you can't get in touch with your doctor, call another doctor...preferably one you've seen before. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:50 AM

Or call a LLL Leader and ask if they can look it up in Hale's book. Medications and Mother's Milk. Great Resource.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:16 AM

the best question if you can't ask LLL or an LC might actually be is that anti-biotic safe for babies. I remember my GP warning me when she gave me a script for antibiotics for mastitis that some phamacists would try to sell you formula with it because "it wasn't safe" when the same pharmacist would quite happily fill the same script for the baby! Even if they do get some through the breastmilk it would be not even close to what they would get if you gave it to them directly so it seems pretty illogical to me to panic about a bit going through the breastmilk. I say this as someone who has only had anti biotics twice in my life, I don't think they should be used unless really necessary but if you do need them then I would rather protect the breastfeeding relationship than use formula.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:28 PM

From this link:

dr sears on drugs

I got this:

Quote:
Authorities recommend giving the mother a single two-gram dose and having her discontinue breastfeeding for only twelve to twenty-four hours.
Dr Sears also says tetracycline is safe while bfing.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:45 PM

I took Flagyl 2x while nursing

it isn't a first choice, but certainly no reason to stop nursing
Old 03-10-2003, 05:21 AM

I just got this letter from Dr Jack Newman...I think it applies here:

"Please note that almost no medication requires a mother to stop breastfeeding. This includes Flagyl (metronidazole), Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Clindamycin, interferon, Botox etc. etc. It is also not true that a mother who has an MRI or CT scan needs to stop breastfeeding, even for 1 minute. After general or local anaesthesia you don't have to stop breastfeeding. You can restart as soon as you are awake and up to it. Check the website above or my book"

Hope this helps!!

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!

User Tag List