Bad bf advice from dr -- what can you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-08-2003, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother's friend has a new grandson -- he was born prematurely just a couple weeks ago. The mom is a bit backward, I think -- she smoked throughout her pregnancy, didn't eat well because she didn't want to gain too much weight, etc. -- but admirably wanted to "try" breastfeeding. Her doc told her she should give the kid formula instead to start with because since he was premature he needs the iron and all the other wonderful things in the special formula.
When her milk came in she was miserable and didn't know what to do, and my mom and her friend called me. Of course I told them to tell her to breastfeed, to call LLL, to read The Baby Book (that I gave her for her shower), even to pump and give the milk in a bottle -- and of course the mom didn't want to go against doctor's orders, and you know the rest of the story.
It's so sad. It seems like you should be able to sue this doctor for giving bad advice -- certainly this poor premature kid's whole life might well be affected. But really, what can you do? Anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-09-2003, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
write a letter to his state medical licensing board (you can probably use google to find out how to make a physician complaint.) And complain that training in lactation is not required for licensure. If he is board-certified in a speciality, like pediatric, write the the certifying board. You can call his office is find out if he's board certified, in what and by who. You can probably also find that online.Find out what hospitals he has privileges at, and complain to them, too. Particularly to the head of neonatology as well as the hospital generally. As far as suit, she could sue but I don't think it would be a clear-cut enough case for it to be worth it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page