Is there anyway to know if baby is latched correctly?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2003, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My babes are now just about 3 weeks old (!!!!!), and my nipples are still hurting. I always make sure that their lower lips are out, and that their chins and noses are touching my breasts. They are getting a lot of milk (I think--lots of wet and poopy dipes and they are getting quite chubby), but I still feel like they must be latching on wrong since my nipples are hurting. Also, this morning I woke up with a clogged duct, which I assume is from an incorrect latch as well. Is there anyway to know if they're latched on right? I have the most pain when I nurse them together in the double football position. I think it's because I can't support my breasts well enough with only two hands. . .

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and go see the Lactation consultant tomorrow, but our car is broken, so we'll see if it happens.

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a nursing pillow that's large enough (One Step Ahead sells a good one in their "twins" section)? I find that my nipples get sore when I don't use my pillow regularly. Even when I think I have them postitioned well I notice a problem if I nurse several times without the pillow for support. If your breasts are large you can roll up a hand towel and put that under the breast to raise it up. As for the pluggd duct, are you switching sides each time you nurse? I know this is recommended, but I got mastitis twice in the first 4 months and stopped rotating sides after the last bout. I haven't had it since. If your supply is good it might be worth trying. You can also try going without a bra or at least wear one that doesn't have underwire. Congratulations on your boys !

User Tag List