Mothering Forum banner

PG and worried about BF

521 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CollegeMama 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm due in a few weeks and I'm starting to remember the painful first few days of BF. I'm really not looking forward to that part of it.
I remember that the pain was excruciating the first 6 days, and I know that later I had some problems with yeast infections (I can't remember what that's called now- Thrush?) so I wonder if that's why it was so painful at first or was it the normal adjustment to having the babe suckling so often. It was so bad that I remember crying when DS would latch on. Luckily I was totally resolved to BF so I didn't give up and after a while things were fine.
Is there anything I can do to toughen up the nipples before the baby comes? I have the lanolin stuff, should I put that on now?

#2 ·
You don't have to do any preparing, but if you're worried about having problems or discomfort, putting some lanolin on wouldn't hurt anything. Also, if you use soap- no matter how gentle you think it is- on your breasts or nipples, I would stop using it on those parts of your body. Plain water is often recommended because anything else is just too harsh, especially on the sensitive skin of the nipple. I am pregnant with my 2nd baby, and I am concerned about having pain again too. But it hasn't been all that long since I was breastfeeding, and my LC reassured me that I probably won't have the troubles I did the first time around. Your skin is already "toughened up" from previous nursing. You should be fine

#4 ·
It may be that your experience this time is better because you've been through it once before. Do you have support lined up (LLL, a good LC, etc)? If you're experiencing a great deal of pain, please don't hesitate to call on some support to find out if there's something more going on. Many breastfeeding problems are totally fixable, but it's easier if you catch it earlier. Good luck!

#5 ·
I"ve heard people swear by lanolin and those gel things that you freeze then put on your nips. Not sure what they're called. Also, to prepare, you can leave your nipples out to the air as much as possible. Either go topless or braless. I also slept on a towel, both to help with leaking and to toughen them as they rubbed on terry cloth. Also, be sure to have an LC check your latch before you leave the hospital. You should be fine! You've done it before, you can do it again. Plus, after labor, a little nipple pain ain't nothin'!

#8 ·
With my second, I had minimal to NO nipple pain. Make sure you know there will be afterbirth contractions that hurt a lot for a few days. Some moms think they hurt worse than labor contractions--a non-aspirin pain reliever was my life saver ... That was a lot different from the nipple pain. HIT--I'm "looking forward" to the same thing anytime ... (#4).

#9 ·
That's interesting because I remember the contractions that happen when bf'ing and they weren't nearly as bad as the nipple pain. I am sure that it's different for each pregnancy/birth, so I will definitely be prepared for that to be a possiblity this time. It's always best to be prepared than caught off guard!

#10 ·
Those afterbirth contractions get worse with each baby!

And with my second one, no pain at all. And that was after having tons of problems, pain, thrush, and clogged ducts a lot with my first.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kannon99
Those afterbirth contractions get worse with each baby!

And with my second one, no pain at all. And that was after having tons of problems, pain, thrush, and clogged ducts a lot with my first.
I don't know whether to be relieved or scared! But...I have had a pretty easy pregnancy thus far, so I suppose it won't kill be to be uncomfortable for a few days while the uterus shrinks back. At least I'll have two little pumpkins to hold.
DS is getting so excited to meet his sister.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.