Anybody *need* milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2003, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi!

i have about 300 ounces of milk in my freezer and am pumping 6-15 ounces a day so it is incrteasing fast. I was saving it for a milk bank but am taking Thyroid (natural armour dessicated thyroid- nothing passes through the milk) so was refused. I have all the donor tests and was fine. This is free to a good home and I am more than willing to keep pumping if you want more.

here is the thing. It is expensive to ship. About $100 for 200 ounces. However if you get a cheap plane ticket ( i have gotton round trip from here to TX, last minute through price line for $125) you could just take as much as you could. My dh said grey hound would be cheap but i doubt they could get it over night (and it must be over night.)

I live in Sioux falls which is 3 hours from Omaha, 5 hours from Minneapolis 1 1/2 hours from Sioux City iowa.

Anyone? Anyone? My freezer is getting full. Feel free to give my e-mail to anyone who wants it (please let them know how much shipping is though.) [email protected] or PM me.

Someone please take my milk!!

I could always make a whole lot of saop (there is no way I am throwing it out) but I would really rather it fill a little babies tummy.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2003, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's wonderful to give your milk away! I also wanted to donate my milk to a bank but am also on meds so can not. If the meds are safe I think they should take the milk and just let the parents know and give them an option to accept it or not.

I have a cusin who was born less than a month after me. My aunt's milk did not come in So my mother pumped for her! Then my uncle found out and put a stop to it. He said it was unclean and disgusting. It amazes me the veiw most (yes, it seems most to me) people in our society take on bf.

Anyway I think it was the APA that says milk straight from the tap is best. Then mother's own pumped milk is second. Then human milk from a doner. Then formula as a last option.

I applaud you for your efforts! I hope you find a home for your milk!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:29 PM

That is so awesome of you

I wish I knew someone, you are doing a wonderful thing. I wish the milk bank situation didn't suck so bad. I once knew a mama who had a freezerful of milk to donate and she was on no meds but there wasn't a milk bank near by and no one from the other ones would even talk to me.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:14 AM

I pumped a smidgen under 2 ounces tonight. That's all I've got in my fridge. You have 300?!

We're so close I could drive to get it...I just wish I knew someone who needed it. I hope you find someone to take it for you.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:18 AM

There was a thread a while back about a guy whose wife died, and he is buying bm from a bank for the baby. Costing him a fortune. Would you be able to contact him?

Alternatively, you could sell it to fetishists on e-bay (there was a thread on this too!). I believe the going rate is something like $10 an ounce!!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:39 AM

I hope you find someone to take it....the thought of all that milk going down the sink is just heartbreaking! Isn't there a chat board on www.fourfriends.com (an adoptive breastfeeding site) - maybe an adoptive mama would want it?

I tried to donate but they dinged me for living in the UK in the 80s...can't give blood any more either. It's that mad cow disease lurking in my brain.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 03-14-2003, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I totally forgot about 4friends. I think I have found someone though.

The guy from the earlier post had offers pouring in and he refused them all. he only wanted processed milk and he could afford it anyway.

Thanks for all your kind words. It is such an easy thing to do. it is nice to have it around incase my dd should need it. In the mean time i certainly don't mind giving it away.

And I would rather dump it down the sink befor selling it to a perv. at any price.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:12 AM

You may think this is interesting...maybe not....but I thought to share.

In the Qu'ran (Islam's holy book) it says that if two children drink from the same women's breast they are siblings. So whatever lucky babe ends up getting your milk they would be brother or sister to your children.

Kinda cool huh?
Old 04-02-2003, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have heard that but had never really given t much thought. When Lily was a baby I donated to am ilk bank and they sent out the stories of the babies who got donar milk. It was hard to explain the connection I felt to them. But then again I am a sentimental sap sometimes

Old 04-02-2003, 11:54 AM

Acutally someone just told me that the Torah (Jewish Holy Book) says a similar thing about the shared breast.

My sister donated milk to a baby whose mom had and was treated for breast cancer while baby was in the womb. The baby had over 30 milk donors - my sister said it was the same type of spiritual and emotional experience.

How couldnt it be - you are bringing life and what sustains life to a little ?

User Tag List