Pain after pumping and general pumping questions.. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I have no real experience with pumping and just started about a week ago. My baby (7 weeks) doesn't ever seem to be satiated on the breast and we've now tried giving him 1-2 bottles of BM a day with cereal in it to get him more food. I'm wondering if I'm pumping with the suction too strong since my breasts feel stingy long afterwards. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm a SAHM, but feel that my supply is too low for my son's needs. He's hungry CONSTANTLY!! How many times should I be pumping per day and for how long? Do I quit pumping after a set period of time or when the breast no longer expels any milk? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-27-2006, 11:32 PM

If you can adjust the suction on your pump, experiment with gentler setting untils something feels good. Pumping should not be painful, sometimes it does feel a bit 'odd' but painful is not good. When I pumped exclusively for DD1, I probably pumped about 6 times a day at that age for fifteen minute sessions. Sometimes a litle less. I found that somewhere between 10-15 minutes of pumping was when I was basically empty and not going to get any significant amount more. After a while, I worked up to 8-12 ounces of BM in a ten minute pumping session, but many sessions it was more like 7 ounces (that would be the total for both breasts). The daily totals were in the 26-30 ounces a day (some sessions were a lot more prodcutive than others). When I started pumping, I was thrilled to get 2 ounces in 15 minutes because it just took time to work up to full pumping capacity.

Now chances are he is going through a growth spurt right now, so just stick to pumping as much as you can. My DD could never get the hang of latching on properly so I only pumped. I never supplemented with cereal though because I was worried about allergies (Dh has a ton). So when you are pumping, stop after expression seems to slow. I would know when I got to like a drop every couple pumps (when I start, the flow would be a small stream every pump).
#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2006, 08:59 AM

This may seem like a stupid response, and in that case I am sorry for not understanding your situation, but couldn't you just nurse more? Some babies like to nurse every hour. It's not b/c their mamas don't make enough milk, they just want to nurse that often. I think if you're nursing on demand, your body will tailor itself to your baby's nursing needs and you should not need to add cereal to a baby's bottle.

As far as pumping goes, I would wait until you stop getting milk out. Also, Lean forward a little, try to massage the breast down without breaking the suction on the pump.

#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies... and LoveMyLil'B, your response was not stupid. I'm just new to all of this (dd didn't have any troubles) and I'm trying to make sure that I do everything right to keep up my supply, still feeding the baby enough and pumping for reserve bottles when I won't be here.

My only concern with nursing more, and it really isn't a concern, is what happens when, like the pump, the milk stops coming out? He's done this before, He empies one breast, I switch breasts and he empties that one, but then still wants more. He gets frustrated when there's nothing left to get... Any advice here??
#5 of 5 Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 AM

I am not sure your breast ever totally empties. I think a nursing baby can always get something if they want to. Could your DS just have a strong sucking need? Some babies want to suckle at the breast and not really eat. Could that be what he's doing? If you successfully BFed your DD, then I don't think you would have supply issues if you're nursing on demand. Perhaps he's also going thru a growth spurt, and that, coupled with a strong urge to suck, makes him want to nurse all the time and seem kind of fussy.

Keep it up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page