Help! My 8 week old bites!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help! My dd is eight weeks old, and this last week she has started biting me every now and then during the day while nursing. Some times it is when she is obviously angry or frustrated, but other times it seems as though she is doing it just because she can. It is getting to be painful to the nipples at times, since it feels like she is chewing on them, and even though she doesn't have teeth, that hard palate hurts!! :

Does anyone have any ideas as to why she is doing it? Or, how I can get her to stop? I am starting to dread when she is teething if this continues... Thanks!!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 02:23 PM

does she do it as the milk is letting down, or a while after let-down? if it's during let-down, it might be that you have a forceful let-down, and in order to deal with the flow, she's clamping down on your nipple to stop/slow the flow so she can keep up with it. (my dd did this in the beginning)

if she does it a while after let-down has happened, she could be getting impatient and frustrated, wanting another let-down (my dd does this from time to time if another let-down doesn't happen right away, especially right now as she seems to be going through another growth spurt).

anytime dd clamped down on my nipple, i would say a very loud "ow!", which would kind of startle her, and get her to let go. (i'm hoping this will work when she gets teeth, too!)

HTH!

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#3 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think it might be that she is impatient, as she starts getting really fussy and keeps latching on then pulling off right away. I do say "ouch" pretty loudly, but she doesn't even seem to notice it...I guess I will just have to keep trying!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM

My first thought was thrush. My babe did this for awhile and it wreaked havoc on my nipples. Turns out we both had thrush (my nipples her mouth). She was clamping down b/c it probably felt better. Try looking in her mouth for white patches and check your nipples to see if they're pink, both signs of thrush. OR if both of those check out ok, she could be frustrated, like you said, lol...

HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page