When is too old to be NIP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry if this turns out to be a bit of a rant/vent, but I am uncomfortable.

I nursed dd#1 for over a year and plan to nurse dd#2 for as long as she wants, but there is a lady at my church who drives me nuts! She has a 3yo and every Sunday morning the child is nursing during service. They always come in late, so often they are nursing in the front row!

I am quite comfortable with NIP myself, but I wonder if a 3yo, who is obviously getting most of her nutrition elsewhere couldn't do her morning nursing at a locale other than the front row of church.

Am I way out of line in my discomfort, or is it more acceptable to limit the location in which you NIP?

Respectfully,
Jenni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2003, 05:02 PM

my child is only 17 months, so i don't know what it's like to nurse a 3 year old, but so far i have nursed her whenever and wherever she has needed nursing.
putting limits on nursing is something i would do for MY comfort level, not for anyone else's.
i would much rather see a nursing child than hear a screaming child. like you said, she's getting her NUTRITION from many other sources, so she obviously needs the COMFORT of nursing in church.
as far as church nursing goes, i've always said that if people are looking where they're supposed to be and paying attention to the service, they aren't going to know what anyone else is doing.
it wouldn't bother me if someone nursed an older toddler or child in church or other public place. i'd be glad to see it, and know that the mother puts a high priority on her relationship with her child.
maybe you could attend a different service or sit in such a place that you can't see her, if that's an option.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:05 PM

I have to agree that I would not be offended by seeing a three-year old nursing in church, but rather would thank her for not kowtowing to social pressures. I truly view NIP as a feminist issue related to control over women's sexuality. And I feel pretty passionate about it.

That said, however, I'm starting to feel a little freaked out by other people's reactions (or my perceptions of them) when I nurse my 21 month old and I'm hoping that I can put them into perspective and do what I think is right for my ds and me. Also, I for the most part still nurse my ds on demand and don't think that I should have to change that just for other people's comfort (what does that teach him about nursing and love and mama milk?)

Hmmm, you touched a subject close to heart, here

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
Old 03-16-2003, 07:17 PM

Well I just got home from the store where I nursed my 3 1/2 year old 2 times.

As my children age, I find that thier wanting to nurse in public and my comfort with it is has mostly been about the same. I would be uncomfortable if my 3 year old pops on and off the way my 1 1/2 year old does, but he just doesn't.

My 3 1/2 year old alomst never asks to nurse in public, but when he does it is almost always times that I would do anything to help him and what others are thinking is really not what I am worried about. Like at the store today he pulled a cart over on himself and a few minutes later ran his head into a bar that had clothes hanging on it, even at three I was glad that I could nurse him. I also think that being able to sit and listen to something that is important to me (i.e. church service) with out entertainging him during that time would be important enought too. Many children have a hard time sitting through service and so many parents want to inspire thier children and get them to like church and I can't think of a better way to give lovely memories of church to a child then that of listening to the pastor while sitting in moms lap and nursing.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would take other peoples comfort level into consideration when nursing a child that age. Also there is the freak factor. Allow me to explain before you flame me. There are just some things that make people freak out about nursing and decide that the whole thing is a bad idea. . A three year old nursing is one of them. I would rather nurse an older child in -private if that helps make someone comfortable with nursing a baby. I would hate to think think that I was turning people off to nursing because I was doing something that made them uncomfortable. Does that make sense? A three year old can wait. At the very least I wouldn't make a scene and then nurse. I mean would it kill her to sit in back so she didn't create a total disturbance.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:06 AM
bec

I do sometimes feel self conscious nursing my 2yo in public now. It doesn't stop me from doing it, mind you, but she tends to kick and pull on my shirt, as well as popping off and on every couple of seconds. I try to be somewhere calm, so she can concentrate on the business at hand! At this point, I am usually able to distract her or offer a sippy of water or a snack (which is often what she is wanting anyway, just not able to articulate it, kwim). But, if she is hurt or frightened or something, I will just plop right down wherever I am and give her the comfort she needs.

This is my own method of nursing. It wouldn't bother me a bit if someone else (older, younger, whatever) is nursing. In fact, if it was a place like church, where I wanted to hear what was being said, I would be thrilled to know that my service wasn't being interrupted because of an impatient toddler. It's hard for little ones to hold still that long. What a great way for the mom to get her and her child's needs met.

It really goes to why I'm still nursing in the first place. At this point, the nutritional benefits are really secondary to the emotional ones, for us. It is a quick and surefire way to reconnect. It gives emotional support and soothing on such a fundamental level. And while I am trying to gently teach her that there are other ways to cope, nursing still remains a huge tool in my bag of tricks.

What it comes down to, is that you shouldn't worry so much about what other people are doing.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Banned

I agree with Lilyka re the "freak factor." I recall when I was about 7 months pregnant having a discussion with a physician who was a mother, who disclosed to me, after I let her know I intended to nurse my baby, that her almost 4 year-old still nursed before bedtime. She said she was "no LLL'er", but she believed it helped maintain closeness between her and her daughter, given that she works. I mentally freaked and shortly changed the subject. Of course, i'd think nothing of it now. But that's now.

I recently nursed my 22 month old dd in public (she was tired and hungry and would've flipped had I asked her to wait), but I didn't feel comfortable about it. Dd is as big as most three year-olds, and it was a VERY public place, with large crowds passing constantly, and no possibilities for seclusion. At this point, I'd likely only nurse my daughter in such a public setting in the circumstances in which we found ourselves.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 AM

My little one is 2.3 years old and easily as big as a three year old. I totally understand arriving late to church with toddlers this age, because I often don't go because I would be late. When we do get there, we're great through the music, but all that talking just makes her want to tour the church. I only occasionally NIP at this point, but I swear if it meant I could actually get some spiritual sustenence on a Sunday, I'd spend the whole time with my boob in my little one's head.

(That said, I love my relationship with my little one. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Good on to that mama who boldly shows up late and gives her mama-love to her toddler during church. She's a couple of growth points ahead of me.)
Old 03-17-2003, 01:54 AM

Why does it bother you to see a mother breastfeeding? Do you think it's sexual or something? Why does it matter how old the child is? I really have no idea why that would bother anyone and I would really like to know.

I am going to breastfeed my daughter for as many years as she desires, and it's not going to make any difference to me whether I'm at home or in public. Why should it? There is nothing indecent about breastfeeding. In fact, it's the most decent thing I can think of.

If I saw a mother breastfeeding a three year old in public, I would want to jump up and down and applaud and run up and hug her! It would be such a refreshing sight in this repressed, depraved culture in which women are so unsupported and uneducated about breastfeeding that most of them don't even manage to do it for six months, let alone three years.

World-wide, women breastfeed their children for an average of 4.2 years. We live in a very unnatural and backward society.

Those of you who are shocked by breastfeeding would be really shocked if you saw me do it -- I expose my entire breast. The breast is not a sex organ. It's purpose is to feed offspring. It's just as appropriate to expose a breast as it is to expose an ear or a leg. More appropriate, in my opinion, because breastfeeding is such an important function.

If people are uncomfortable with breasts or breastfeeding, they are the ones with the problem, not me. They need to get over it. They are the ones who need to change, not me.

If more women would breastfeed in public without trying to be "discreet," people would get used to seeing it and it would no longer be a big deal. This is *exactly* like a hundred years ago when people couldn't handle the sight of a woman's leg -- except that the consequences are much more damaging to the children when women aren't comfortable using their breasts for their intended purpose.

My breastfeeding page:

http://devrock.5u.com/custom.html

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Banned

Yeah, devrock!! Loved your post!

Quote:
If I saw a mother breastfeeding a three year old in public, I would want to jump up and down and applaud and run up and hug her! It would be such a refreshing sight in this repressed, depraved culture in which women are so unsupported and uneducated about breastfeeding that most of them don't even manage to do it for six months, let alone three years.
Right on, mama!!

OT: your daughter is absolutely gorgeous...you know that already but wanted to affirm.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://www.sheilakitzinger.com/Breastfeeding.htm

This article seems appropriate here too.

I nurse soon to be 4 yr old DD in public if she asks. It's a rare event at this point.

Honestly, if discretion is your goal, then nursing just about as soon as they ask is 100% quieter than hauling a tired frantic pre-schooler to some "private" place. I've found this to be true at any age!

Last few times we've done this I doubt anyone knew, not because we hid or anything, but just because all they would see is a little girl laying on her mom's lap. If they know what the rucked up shirt means, then good for them.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 03-17-2003, 03:20 AM

I have no idea why it bothers you, but IMO moms and kids should do what they need to at the time. I have no idea what the problem is about nursing in church, front row or not.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:
If I saw a mother breastfeeding a three year old in public, I would want to jump up and down and applaud and run up and hug her!
I wish you would have been at the store yesterday when ds pulled the cart over on him. I went from having three people concerned and asking if he is okay, what is hurt, can I call someone. To silence (from them and ds) when I sat down on the floor and pulled up my shirt. No one even stayed around to find out if he was really hurt or not.:

Later while still at the store, there was a lady nursing an infant with a huge cover that snapped around her neck like a bib, I was hoping he would ask to nurse when we were by them.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I've always wanted to start a thread that got lots of responses! Thanks for chiming in!!

I think what bothers me most about this woman is not so much the NIP (but she does get negavite commentary from other members of the congregation), but the way she treats dd the rest of the time. She doesn't hesitate to yell and hit and it breaks my heart to see that. Her poor dd must be so confused by the combo of spanking and ebf--due to it's comforting nature. Those are pretty conflicting messages.

Sometimes I think she's just trying to "prove" something to the rest of us with nursing dd during service. Instead of having the desired effect of promoting bfing, it's becoming a negative. I tend to agree that when that happens it's time to stop nursing at that location and start promoting other mom's nursing.

Ok, I think I'm rambling. Not enough sleep and post partum brain are having their way today.

Thanks for responding objectively and not attacking my (or others) opinions.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:44 PM

Yelling and hitting -- now that *would* bother me! I'm trying to imagine a mother who would extended breastfeed in public on the one hand -- and then yell and hit on the other! Conflicting messages -- you said it!

Of course, I'm also trying to imagine someone who would observe yelling, hitting, and breastfeeding, and then come to a message board and complain that the *breastfeeding* makes her uncomfortable. Could it be possible that the breastfeeding actually bothers you more than the yelling and hitting?? I still have no idea why the breastfeeding bothers you at all.

I disagree that when a breastfeeding mother gets "negative commentary from other members of the congregation" it's time to "stop nursing at that location." I would say the opposite. That congregation needs to see three year olds breastfeed in public MORE often, not less often. They need to get used to it and get over their problem with it! If I lived in that community, I would try to organize a "nurse-in" and get as many extended-breastfeeding mothers as possible to bring their kids to the church and breastfeed them there, until the negative commentary died down.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 03-17-2003, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would be bothered by the yelling and hitting, especially the hitting, not by the breastfeeding.

What is the issue with church anyway? Would the congregation Truly rather see a mom who obviously needs what peace she can find there chased out, than see her take care of her child's needs in a positive manner???? Talk about mixed messages!

I was chewed out by the bride's twin when I nursed DD during our sister's wedding last Spring. I asked her what she thought a fussing 2 year old would have added to the ceremony.

OTOH, when I went to church to hear Mom do her solo the previous Easter, I got not a blink when I ended up nursing DD through most of the Mass.

Sounds to me like that congregation needs to maybe get some priorities straightened out--are they there for the appearances? or to support each other?

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 03-17-2003, 06:31 PM

I nursed my child right up until I had to wean him at age two wherever he needed/wanted to nurse. This usually meant about 2 to 3 nursings during church. We always sat by the same people and the family that sits in front of us has four adopted children of different ethnicities (they also homeschool. ) When their oldest who was seven at the time told her mom that I was nursing (none of them were nursed) her mom turned around with her dd to look at me and told her that "it's God's way." I thought that was so sweet. She explained it a bit to her, and they watched my ds, who was about 20 months at the time, for a bit. I thought that was a wonderful way to explain it.

I know this mother that AM Mom is refering to. When people make comments about LLL people being breastfeeding radicals, she is a prime example. Unfortunately, she often gives her opinion as fact, and it is often wrong. She is the reason I don't attend LLL in my town. I know much more information, but it doesn't belong on the boards. Like AM Mom, I am often confused at how she is so militant about breastfeeding, but is as unattached to her children as she is. Only if you know her, would you understand.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe my problem is that my kids have never been much for the "comfort" nurse. Maybe that's why it makes me uncomfortable. I say that I want my youngest to wean herself, but I don't know if I'm willing to do that... depending on her age. I know that when I weaned my first at a little over a year I did not want too, and Beth tried hard to convince me not too, but circumstances got the better of me.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Should I check back in in another year and see if I've changed my mind?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:00 AM
bec

Here's my question. I see toddlers up to the age of 4 or 5 walking around with pacifiers sticking out of their mouths. They are obviously sucking on them for the "comfort." Nobody seems to blink an eye at that. How is that different from nursing? I find the yelling and hitting bit to be way more upsetting and uncomfortable, than the nursing.

Old 03-18-2003, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by bec
I see toddlers up to the age of 4 or 5 walking around with pacifiers sticking out of their mouths. They are obviously sucking on them for the "comfort." Nobody seems to blink an eye at that.
Actually I am totally appaulded by that. That isn't good for thier oral development or speech. But that is a whole nother thread.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-19-2003, 01:54 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka
Actually I am totally appaulded by that.
I was too, but I see it so often and nobody seems to comment on it. And I've also gotten something of a reputation as being a little odd anyway because I still nurse my 2yo!:

Old 03-19-2003, 02:05 PM

I have a 3 year old and we are still nursing and will do so anytime and where if needed.

Yes, he eats food and drinks other liquids but if he is having a hard time when we are out and he needs to nurse then he will have the comfort in knowing I am there for him if he needs me.
I try to plan our days so that I will not take him out in a position of needing to nurse, but if he has a day like the other poster said of hitting his head or pulling a cart down upon him by all means we will nurse.

I have nursed him in restraunts with my dh and I have tried to not nurse him(and he is fussy and whining) and my dh says "will you just nurse him already...he obviously needs your comfort.." ...and I am so thankful dh advocates for my son when I get those feelings of worring about what others think b/c I shouldn't have too and nor should anyone else who is nursing an older child.

I do understand that there are others who BF but are in no way attached. This is very frustrating to me and I most definatley would not be comfortable with this person if they would bf and then turn around and hit their child with in the same instance.

I am so tired of this being an issue of us freaking others out or making someone uncomfortable. Please when will it stop? I really am just tired of it. I live in one of the most mainstream areas of the USA I am sure, but I refuse to be made to feel like I cannot do what I know is best for my son and if nursing is not normal in another's view then that is their problem not mine.

It is a shame that a little human being that has been on Mother Earth for only 3 years has to be thought of as less a baby and more of 'at an age to be on to other things' and have to be looked upon by adults as being a freak of nature to still be at mothers breast.

AMMom
I understand that maybe your issues lie within the mother you are speaking of and not us a whole ebf community. I am hoping.

If you nurse you babies yourself how could you not support nursing anywhere, anytime, any age, even though you yourself may not be comfortable with nip an older child? I am just curious....: I would support your choice of nursing where and when you are comfortable if you were my IRL friend

And as for your children not comfort nursing? I do not understand that either....since you say you have bf until at least one year of age(which is wonderful btw) you mean to tell me everytime they nursed it was stictly because they were hungry? :

I am just trying to understand here.....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Old 03-19-2003, 04:37 PM

I'll admit that sometimes seeing a nursing pre-schooler (age 3-4-5) sometimes makes me uncomfortable. While I have a mental commitment to breastfeeding*, I have to say that sometimes I have a gut reaction to it that is a little unsettling.
The "sometimes" thing is what I think is at issue here. It has nothing to do with the size or age of the child or the amount of mother's skin exposed, or the nipples, or anything as concrete as that. Like one women could be nursing a 5 year old and I would have no reaction other than noticing, but other women would make me uncomfortable when she is nursing the tiniest of infants. Watching some people kiss in public makes me uncomfortable, too, but other people don't have that same effect with the identical action. It's like people put out psychic signals, or something?

*My mental committment demands that I do my very best to be supportive. I would hope that no one would ever know from my speech/body language that I am anything but pleased that we agree on one of the basics of childcare.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 03-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Here's a society whose gut reaction to an affectionate couple, or a mother nourishing her child, is "ugh! I don't want to see that!" but when it comes to something like two men *hitting* each other in public, not only do people want to see it, they actually *pay* to see it. This is what patriarchy has brought us to. Time to return to matriarchy, perhaps?

Old 03-19-2003, 05:54 PM

The only comment I will make is this: I plan on extended breastfeeding. I don't know how old that will be. I will not give any opinion because I got attacked before when people asked an outright question and stupid me: I answered it (where is the g-forbid face?)
Old 03-19-2003, 06:13 PM

bladestar5, you got attacked because you used the word "disgusting." it's one thing to say that you don't feel comfortable nursing a school-aged child, it's quite another to condemn others for doing it.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:19 PM

Yes, but I believe I apologized. Anyways, I am only human....sorry I am NOT perfect, and I don't pretend to be. After I apologized, there were still some snobby comments. That's alright, though...I am sure they are perfect.:
Old 03-19-2003, 06:35 PM

I just read that other thread. Bladestar *did* 'take back' the word "disgusting." Her final word on the subject was that she personally wouldn't feel comfortable nursing an 8 yr old, but that she has "no problem with what other people do." Everyone has already jumped on her for initially using the word "disgusting" and she has already been made to feel terrible for it, so I don't think we need to re-live it.

Old 03-19-2003, 06:40 PM

Thanks Devrock. Yep, I will shut my mouth and I guess maybe stay out of this forum for a while. I really do love nursing
Old 03-19-2003, 06:44 PM

i didn't mean to attack her again, i just thought she should be encouraged to speak her mind but continue to use respectful langauge. the other thread did get nasty, but not because she was honest. she did apologize, and i will now apologize for bringing up the issue again.

User Tag List