pregnant, nursing sick 17 month old...agony - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2003, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

I am just writing because I am feeling a little sorry for myself today and I know this is a safe place to express my feelings. Warning - this is a slightly pathetic post.
My ds is 17.5 months old and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I have been in the process of gently weaning him for the past two months - most days he now only nurses 3-4 times. It is still very painful, but tolerable.
Well this weekend he got very sick and spent from early Fri am - Sun evening latched on. I am not exagerating. He would only sleep on me, he was latched on while we were at the hospital, while I went ot the bathroom, while I had a bath.... I am now so sore that I honestly just feel like running away.

I can't complain to anyone though, because everyone I know IRL constantly berates me because I am still nursing.

Emma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-17-2003, 07:24 PM

I know partly what you mean ... I can't imagine being pregnant on top of the all weekend nursing spree. Hopefully now that he's feeling better you can get some alone time to just be ... well, alone!!
#3 of 6 Old 03-19-2003, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying.... things have gotten worse - I now have big blisters on my nipples and have decided to wean my son. I just can't take this anymore.

Emma
#4 of 6 Old 03-21-2003, 02:57 AM

Sorry to hear the past few days have been so rough. I hope you and your son feel better soon.
#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2003, 12:08 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry!

I just pray my dd doesn't get sick before we totally wean! I'm 8 wks pg and nursing is really painful. I can't imagine how hard it would be to endure a nursing marathon like that!

Your baby is lucky to have you. Good luck weaning. It will be alright! Take care!

peace, Beth
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2003, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for replying...

Things have gotten much better. My last time nursing my son was Tuesday am. It has been a tough few days - he has actually coped really well. Atl east several times a day, every half an hour or so - the first few days - he would ask to nurse and sign "milk" and "please" over and over. But... today he didn't ask to nurse even once. I think what has made it a relatively easy transition is that I had been gently weaning him (the "don't offer, don't refuse method") for three months so he was already used to other methods of comforting.
I feel really good that I nursed him until he turned 18 months old. When I first started nursing, I thought I would nurse him until he 6 weeks old! (Crazy, I know...). I never imagined how much I would love nursing him and how much the bond would become. This has been a hard week for me - I have felt very emotional - lik I have been losing my baby. But I love him and I have to trust that we will still have a special bond.

Emma

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page