need help please!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2003, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 week old baby has decided to stop nursing today. SHe was fine this morning but I tried 2x this afternoon and see just screamed bloody murder when I put her near the breast. She has had a cold for the past few days but has been nursing fine. Prior to that she sometimes cried if the letdown was to slow but she always kept sucking between cries. Now she won't even put her mouth on the boob. She has had about 3 bottles in her life. She has used a pacifer since about week 4 with no problem. She recently found her fist and thumb though so we have been cutting way back on pacifer use. Her dad just came home and I pumped a bottle and she took that. What could this be? Is it nipple confusion, a nursing strike, none of the above?

HELP

THANKS!!

AMY:
#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2003, 07:16 PM

have you considered an ear infection/ache? maybe laying down makes the cold/conjestion worse? makes her ear hurt? Eating from a bottle may be "easier". has there been a fever? I wouldn't begin to tell you how to deal with this in an itty bitty baby. but it could be whats up.
#3 of 9 Old 03-18-2003, 02:12 AM

I would find the number for your local La Leche League leader and call her immediately for help. And/or call an IBCLC certified lactation consultant, again for immediate help.

Keep offering, get in bed with both of you undressed (her in a diaper) for lots of skin to skin contact, snuggle a lot, be calm about offering. Or maybe try walking around, singing and talking calmly, and offer her the breast while walking.

But I would definitely get professional help ASAP.

Hang in there!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 9 Old 03-18-2003, 02:28 AM

i second getting prof help ASAP !!!

also try every position you can think of... football, lying on side, tummy to tummy, in the sling, and any other position you can think of
good luck
#5 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 12:05 AM

I had the same problem when dd was 3 months and again at 4 months. Keep offering the breast and pump to relieve your engorgment. Sounds like a strike. It's hard to nurse when babe has a stuffy nose. Big Hug!!!!
#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 12:11 AM

Amy, hope things are better. Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.
#7 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

things are improving. georgia nursed fine all night mon and all day tues. we had the same problem tues eve but again fine all night and all day yesterday. last night was fine. i really think it is related to this cold. calling the ped today to see if her can see her just to look in her ears. she is arching her back alot and throwing her head back. i think she has flem and can't figure out how to get rid of it

thanks for all you suggestions and support!

amy
#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 10:01 AM

occasionally my dd gets herself so worked up that she can't calm down to nurse -- it always helps to get in the tub with her. the skin to skin contact helps, as does the water i think.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 12:38 PM

The bath will also help her clear her nose. I use a Lact-aid to supplement dd diet (I'm only producing a partial supply of milk for her). It prevents nipple confusion/preference for something other than you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page