alcohol and caffeine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-18-2003, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out this article from today's Washington Post:

link

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#2 of 8 Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 PM

Thanks for that link, Jane.

I subscribe to this rule regarding drinks with alcohol or caffeine: "Never more than two."

I'm sure there are some who aren't comfortable with that liberal an amount, but it's a rare thing for me to drink alcohol, anyway. I'd barely make it past two SIPS. Soda, though...I average about 12oz a day. Usually at the beginning of baby's long afternoon snooze.

When moms-to-be ask me about breastfeeding and giving up certain drinks, I tell them my rule. If I told them I just don't have any, I feel I'd be giving them a reason NOT to nurse.

I have to ask...why was it okay to have pain medication in the hospital for afterpains - usually 20 minutes before nursing? Is it because that drug doesn't pass into breastmilk, because my milk wasn't in and it's assumed baby wouldn't get much, anyway? What's the deal with that?

I can have all kinds of fun drugs while baby's on his way out of me, but once he's home, I darn well better leave that Dr. Pepper alone!

Medicine doesn't make much sense to me.
#3 of 8 Old 03-20-2003, 06:20 PM

Quote:
[/B]
I can have all kinds of fun drugs while baby's on his way out of me, but once he's home, I darn well better leave that Dr. Pepper alone!

Medicine doesn't make much sense to me. [/B]
Funniest thing i've heard all day!!!

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#4 of 8 Old 03-29-2003, 12:11 AM

wow, after reading that article I thought hey, I'll have another beer!
let me explain...my babe is almost 7 wks. and I am lucky that when he goes to sleep around 8, he sleeps for 4-6 hours in his basinett. Usually, I make so much milk at night I leak all over, he doesn't eat much at night, even when he wakes. Tonight, for the first time, I went and got some beer. Reading in that article that he milk will clear the alcohol was reassuring, also that it may cause me to make less milk, as I said, I usually have too much at night.

anyway, thanks for the link...
#5 of 8 Old 03-29-2003, 04:59 PM

I read the article the day it came out and my thought was...why didn't she mention the benefit of BM vs weaning and using formula? (or even that it's unknown, but it should be considered...) I know many women wean early over the alcohol and caffeine issue. By being absolutist, that's where we end up...and I believe the BM of a woman who drinks 2 cups of coffee per day or two beers is still better than F. she chose to abstain, great - but i think the undercurrent of that article could easily be interpreted by some moms as saying, we're not sure, so weaning might be better! Did I read this too fast? Did anyone else see it this way?
#6 of 8 Old 03-30-2003, 01:21 AM

I saw it that way, too, Clarity.
#7 of 8 Old 04-01-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clarity
I know many women wean early over the alcohol and caffeine issue. By being absolutist, that's where we end up...and I believe the BM of a woman who drinks 2 cups of coffee per day or two beers is still better than F. she chose to abstain, great - but i think the undercurrent of that article could easily be interpreted by some moms as saying, we're not sure, so weaning might be better! Did I read this too fast? Did anyone else see it this way?
My best friend quite nursing due to those reasons plus she started smoking again. She felt that formula was better than giving her baby milk with these agents in it. So I can say that I also know women who have weaned early because they feel too restricted in there lifestyle.

I personally felt it was a very bad article. She certainly could have pointed out the benifits of nursing outweigh any damage to the nursling. Unless, you are an alcoholic...but that is just common sense. Also, women have been nursing there babies since the beginning of human time. Most dangerous agents do not pass or pass very little into the milk as a natural protection. There is a lot of scientific evidence to back this up, ie. 1% of cafeine gets into the milk. Mother's milk is almost always best with very few acceptions. Mother's need to know this above all.
#8 of 8 Old 04-01-2003, 04:47 PM

Great point chellemarie! Gee, when I think of what I got after the c-section - morphine, Percocet, weeks on high doses of Motrin and Tylenol, now Diflucan... plus they give me codeine and Fiorocet for migraines which has a barbiturate and caffeine in it!!! The American hospital attitude to pain relief astounded me. I would NEVER have been given so many narcotics and strong painkillers in Europe or Asia. I must say I didn't refuse them here though You know, I find this alcohol and caffeine thing is a big deal here in the US. In Europe and Asia - well the people just seem sensible about food and do things in moderation. And no one in Australia would ever say anything in public if a pregnant or BF woman downed a glass of wine with dinner. But in the USA, I was afraid to order a glass of wine with dinner while pregnant. And at social functions, people made a point of NOT offering me wine and trying to give me soda which I just hate. It's like the food police here. I think people/professionals are afraid if they say it's ok in moderation, mothers are gonna run out and down 12 coffees, a bottle of scotch and take up drugs or something. I still have my 2 cups of strong tea a day but I've gone off the wine after having dd. Too tired to eat that alone open a bottle a wine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page