I think I'm dealing with a nursing strike! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep...dd is 15 mos and hasn't bfed in over 2 days. She was only nursing once or twice a day to begin with, and it was becoming a struggle because of biting and head-butting. Yesterday she kept pulling my shirt open but when she got the nipple in her mouth she just started giggling and then pulled away and repeated this process several times. Then she bit me not on the nipple but on the actual breast, ouch!

So I've been pumping just so it will be there for in case she wants it again. I can only get an ounce a day, but I really think babies need mama milk until they are 2 even if it doesn't come from the tap.

How long does a strike generally last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-18-2003, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had one at about 10 months and it lasted about a 2 days or so...not long, but I was totally villigant about it, offering it all the time, but if he bit I wouldnt have allowed that to continue either.

My breakthrough was a suggestion by my LLL leader to lay in bed with him ALL DAY, and then to take a nice relaxing bath with my ds. We just layed in the warm bath and after awhile he looked up and decided to nurse. He was so relaxed he fell asleep and had to call dh to help us out!!!

I wouldnt personally allow the biting to continue, but continue to offer her the breast as often as possible until this strike is over. Remember it is a strike, not weaning. Most child led weaning doesnt happen before 2 years.

hugs to you and keep us allposted on your progress!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page