what to do for headaches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-18-2003, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can I do/take for a headache while nursing? I usually do not take over-the-counter medications, and I am not sure of the cause (perhaps exposure to the natural gas fumes from the stove). Is there an herbal or homeopathic approach I might use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-19-2003, 01:12 AM

Yikes, if you're getting gas fumes from the stove, get your stove checked out/serviced and/or call the gas company! Not good for you or your baby to be breathing....at least turn on the fan or open a window! If this is your headache cause, you really need to fix it.

As far as over the counter meds, ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetominophen (Advil, Tylenol, and Aleve) are all fine for breastfeeding moms. If you're having chronic headaches though you will want to get them checked out rather than take over the counter painkillers every day, as the painkillers themselves can cause rebound headaches when you use them every day.

Relaxation and hot or cold compresses on the forehead or back of the neck (whichever feels better) are two things that help my headaches. Also staying really, really well hydrated, especially important when breastfeeding - a lot of headaches are caused by dehydration.

I don't know about what herbal and homeopathic remedies might be appropriate. From what I understand, homeopathic remedies are generally considered safe, but herbs you need to be careful with. One place to look for info on herbs is

Kelly's AP page on herbs and breastfeeding.

Hope this helps!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 3 Old 03-19-2003, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! This helps a lot! The website is great! /Caitlin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page