How bad is it to Nurse baby to sleep? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2006, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 1/2 year old is still nursing to sleep at night (and through the night, and to wake up in hte am ). I recently officially weaned from all daytime nursing, when we did that he stopped taking naps every day (still conks out midafternoon a couple times a week). I htink I timed it well-he's doig fine, I eel better, and he sleeps much better at night.

One thing that might help your husband is knowing that especially as babies get older, they can often handle going to sleep without nursing *if mom isn't around*. It might take a little longer, but if htey trust hte person who is with them it can work out just fine

So after about he year mark I could be out past his bedtime. Usually he would be with his daddy, but sometimes we went out together and his grandmother watched him. Some times he waited up and just played until I was home to nurse him, sometimes he was tired enough to just fall asleep in someones arms or wherever.

It was pretty rare for us, as I really don't have much I like to do that can't be done in the day or earlier evening(ds is a late-to-bed, sleep in kinda guy) but hte times when something came up we had no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel
I don't even understand what's supposed to be wrong with nursing to sleep. Where did this idea come from?
I always heard that it may cause cavities?

But I nurse my 2 1/2 year old son to sleep anyway because it feels right. I do worry about his teeth though. I brush his teeth before bed, but then he nurses to sleep. He hasn't visited the dentist yet, and I am dreading it a little. I don't want to tell his dentist that I am nursing him either, as I know I will be met with criticism.

On that subject, does anyone know of any AP friendly dentists and pediatricians in the San Diego area?

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27
I always heard that it may cause cavities?
In studies breastmilk has been shown to NOT cause cavities. You have to brush well though, because breastmilk and food particles CAN cause cavities.

-Angela
Old 07-24-2006, 02:12 AM

Another nurse to sleep mom here. I've never seen a more practical, peacefull or enjoyable way to do it! If you love it, leave it alone - it's obviously working for both of you
Old 07-24-2006, 02:18 AM

Throw me in on the nurse-to-sleep bandwagon. The books always say it's a bad habit to do, people tell me that becauase a book says to do it then it must be done. BLAH. Dr. Sears's books were the first to tell me otherwise, that it's okay to sleep wtih them, to comfort them with the breast, to nurse to sleep. I suppose there could be situations where it's practical to wean from night nursing (provided it's an older child) but heck, as long as it's wanted on both parties, do it!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 07-24-2006, 03:48 AM

I have a Jake too! He's 14 months and nurses to sleep most nights. In fact, I'm on the laptop while in bed and he's nursing right now LOL

If we have somewhere to go, we just put him in the sling and we're off. It's also nice to have people over. Just excuse yourself from your company for a little while, nurse to sleep, put on the monitor and go enjoy some adult conversation.

Cheers!

Beth
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 AM

Ahmen We nurse for naps & bedtime. listen to the inate
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny
Not bad at all, my 21 month old still nurses to sleep at times. Please throw out the baby books and do what is in your heart.

Sometimes he does not need chi chi to fall alseep, sometimes he does.

Lovin Jesus, Homeschooling, CLW Unity( jan05) & living life with my Hero of 10 years, 5 cats & 3 turtles
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozinSusan
If you just search nursing to sleep on google you will find nothing but negativity. In the book healthy sleep habits happy child he states that it is one of the worst things that you can do.
"Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" is a crazy, horrible book. I have a whole vent on it in the nighttime parenting forum. The author also states that babies only need to breastfeed 4 or 5 times a day and the rest is unnecessary "sipping and snacking." Not to mention his lovely "there is no limit to the amount of time your child should cry when put down to sleep at night" advice.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I am OK with the fact that he has to nurse to sleep. I Love our time together. My husband is ready or change, the fact that Jake will only nurse to sleep has meant that we cannot go out.
we either didn't go out or took her out with us. i think babes that young really need to be with thier parents almost always. it is hard when you have no husband-wife alone time but remember that it doesn't last forever.

btw my dd always nursed to sleep and i never thought anything of it. it's perfectly normal. think of it this way -- everytime your child nurses to sleep they go to sleep really happy! there is no greater peace that a child can experience than nursing and falling asleep in mama's arms. i think your doing a wonderful thing for your child by nursing him to sleep. please don't let anyone else tell you otherwise or use scare tactics.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Listen to your baby's cues, he will let you know what he needs. It is up to mamas to provide for their child's needs until the child is able to do it on his own. A 10 month old cannot get up and go to the fridge when he's hungry, he lets mama know and she feeds him. If he needs to nurse to sleep, that's ok too. How many people want to take a nap after a nice meal? (Food sleepies ring a bell?) Many babies need to suck a lot. It brings them comfort and that's really ok.

Many babies eventually develop patterns that will allow mama to leave for a bit between feedings. Nurse baby to sleep and pay attention to when he sleeps and needs to nurse again.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Oops! Double post. My ISP's wonky lately. Sorry.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamelia
think of it this way -- everytime your child nurses to sleep they go to sleep really happy! there is no greater peace that a child can experience than nursing and falling asleep in mama's arms.
I knew my son had fallen asleep in peace by the big huge smile I got every single morning; it made my day every day!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Not sure if the original poster is still listening, but you mentioned that your problem is that you can't go out in the evenings? I have found that even though I *always* nurse my 7-month-old to sleep, he is happy enough to go to sleep other ways with his grandparents if there is no boob available. They rock him, sing to him, etc. and as long as I'm nowhere to be seen, he seems to forget he wants to nurse.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM

i nurse ds to sleep but he's not even 3 weeks old and if i want any kind of sleep i have to pump him so full of milk he practically enters a milk induced coma. even if i wanted to when he nurses to sleep there's NO way to wake him up!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
In the book healthy sleep habits happy child he states that it is one of the worst things that you can do.
Actually, he doesn't. (Coincidentally, earlier tonight I looked to see what he had to say about it just out of curiosity.)

He states: "There is nothing wrong with nursing your baby to sleep when there is no sleep problem. Most nursing mothers in my practice do this all the time... Most mothers nurse their babies for soothing and comfort and their babies either fall asleep at the breast or they don't... I think that this intimacy between mother and infant is beautiful and nursing to sleep, in itself, does not cause sleep problems."

I'm not saying I love all of his ideas about sleep, but he definitely does not have a problem with nursing to sleep, or getting up for night feeds when a child is breastfed. Maybe you have an older edition of the book or something? It was revised recently, I think.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 AM
DBZ

My Dd is 10 months and I nurse her to sleep too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Although I must admit that sometimes I am jealous of people who can just put their babies down, but then I remember that they had to CIO for that. I can't/won't CIO so we nurse to sleep. Sometimes my dd will fall asleep after nursing. I'm pretty sure that when dd is ready she will go to sleep without her milkies.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

User Tag List