Pumping is not working! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-19-2003, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting discouraged. My baby is 5 months old and was ebf until he was 3 1/2 months, then I got sick and nursing was abrubtly stopped. (in and out of hospital and on meds)
I REALLY wanted to relactate, but it is like ds is mad at me for denying him for so long, that now he is denying me and won't suck on the breast. That's what I feel like anyway.

Anyway, I bought a PIS and everything, and I STILL can't get anything to come out when I pump! Why doesn't pumping work for me? I only get drops when I pump, but when I hand express I can get much more out. One breast even sprays when I hand express.

I'm just frustrated and wonder if this will ever even be worth it or am I wasting my time. I know if I don't get a good supply back he'll never want to latch on, since he is mostly only in it for the food. He was never much of a comfort nurser, all business.

Oh and I tried one of those devises that you tape the tube to your breast and he would still have nothing to do with it.

I don't want to get depressed, I want to enjoy my baby, but I really wanted to nurse longer too. I feel cheated.

Thanks for listening and for any comments!
#2 of 6 Old 03-19-2003, 05:23 PM

I haven't ever tried to pump, but my stepmom never could get more than a few drops, and I hear that is not so uncommon.

There are also people who just manually express, even who work full time. Maybe you could read up on that? It is the only way i have ever expressed milk.

Will he nurse when he is half/mostly asleep?

i don't know what else to say.
I hope you figure it out or find a way to feel better about it. It sounds like you are doing a great job.
#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2003, 12:01 AM

I don't know anything about relactating but I wonder how long have you been using the PIS? I had trouble pumping much when I first started using a new pump. First I tried the Medela Classic (rented) which is recommended for supply problems (it's the heavy duty one). It took 2 weeks before I could get more than 1/2 oz from each breast per session. Recently I changed to a Purely Yours (Ameda). I panicked at first, couldn't get more than a few drops but after a few days, I started to pump more. I think your body gets used to a certain sucking rate and strength and needs time to adjust. Good luck.
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Wombat, that kinda makes sense that you would have to get used to a different kind of suck. I'll try to hang in there longer. Even if ds won't latch again, I can at least try to give him breast milk. I've had my PIS for over a week.
Has anyone else seen this to be the case?
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2003, 03:23 PM

When I had to pump for my baby right after he was born, I had a PIS that I'd bought for going back to work but ended up renting a hospital grade pump because the PIS wasn't cutting it. I also like the Avent Isis; I've read that a lot of moms actually get more milk than they do with an electric and you can't beat the price.

If you need to build your supply you might want to take fenugreek and blessed thistle, 3-4 capsules each 3 times a day. There are other herbs like nettles and alfalfa that are also good, especially if you can't find blessed thistle. Domperidone is also an option; there's been a couple threads on this recently.

Have you looked at any of the sites on adoptive breastfeeding/relactation? www.fourfriends.com is a good place to start. Also check out the bottom of the page at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html for some info and links.

There are some other moms who are trying to relactate who have posted recently on these boards, you might want to do a search.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it's going.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 6 Old 03-20-2003, 03:31 PM

This site has some great tips for hand expressing as well as assisting the milk ejection reflex(letdown). The section on assisting the MER works for pumping,too!
www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page