Yeeouch! What's with this latest trick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had all kinds of problems after another with Bfing. Now the latest one:

I get dd latched on correctly, but then she adjusts herself to just suck on the nipple! Ouch! Every single time! I make her start over and after a few rounds of this she's crying and I'm frustrated and annoyed.

Why's she doing this? Is it a problem with positioning her? I am not enjoying this BFing thing at all. Maybe I'll call the LC at the hospital again.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#2 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 08:31 PM

Oh sweetie,

you've been having such a tough 2 weeks

Just a question...did you happen to have an epidural? I did, long story, and it made my DD not remember how to latch on right. I spent the first several weeks just trying to get her to latch, and relatch over and over and over!!!

Maybe have someone come out to your house and watch you nurse, make sure you are comfy and well supported. Or have your DH watch and tell you what he sees.
#3 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

No epidural or anything. Just some Nubain after she was born.

The other thing she does now is she will latch on, suck a couple times, then she will come off the breast and want to latch on again. Then we have to go through the open wide thing again as she would rather suck my nipple through her puckered lips.

I'm learning I'm not the most patient person in the world. I feel like a horrible momma.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#4 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 08:49 PM

You are not a horrible mama, probably just sleep deprived!

I remember the latching on then letting off thing too. Oh boy did it bug me! But it didn't last too long. It took my DD 45min to get a correct latch enough to nurse, talk about exhausting!!!

Let me check some things out in my breastfeeding book of answers and get back to you
#5 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 09:15 PM

Could she have a short tongue--tongue-tied? DarylLLL might know more about this behavior...
#6 of 8 Old 03-19-2003, 09:41 PM

Another thought--is she stuffy?

Where we are has been DRY and my son did the pop on, pop off thing because he was trying to breathe. THEN, he would reposition himself each time to make an "air pocket" in his mouth so he could breathe! Of couse, he was older, so that might not be it, but it doesn't hurt to mention!
#7 of 8 Old 03-20-2003, 12:47 PM

Yep...dd did that one, with a Lact-Aid tube to get used to at the same time. Because we were supplementing with a lact-aid, I got so frustrated I would tape the tube to my pinky to be able to stimulate her "correct" suck and get a break. I felt like a horrible Mama! She only needed that for the first three weeks, and not even once a day, until she was always nursing full nipple and not hurting me. I don't know if that helps, but I know how frustrating it can be
#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2003, 01:21 PM

I don't know what the rest of your history is, sorry, if you've been posting abt it, it's hard for this old brain to keep everyone straight!

Is she having any pacifiers or bottles at all? B/c this can cause nipple sucking. One easy suck training thing you might try is to let her suck on your first finger, short nail, pad up. Let her draw it into the back of her mouth to where the soft palate begins. This may help remind her where your nipple should be. The finger feeding techniqe HotMama is similar, except a tiny tube of milk is taped to the finger as well.

Try to relax as much as possible. Take a bath together and let her come to the breast. Research is whowing if the baby is encouraged to be the initiator of a feed, either in the tub, or lying in bed on your side, or with her on top of you, tummy to tummy, they latch on instinctively, correctly.

All these techniques should be tried when baby is just a little hungry, not famished.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page