Mothering Forum banner

Excess lipase question

628 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bobandjess99 
#1 ·
So I was reading on another post about excess lipase in breastmilk. Ok, I know on a mainstream site people would be so grossed out but I have tasted my breastmilk before. When it is fresh (just pumped) it tastes really sweet but after I have frozen it and unthawed it it tastes like dish soap. Is that normal or do I have excess lipase? I doubt I'll even pump again and my frozen milk stash is all gone, but I'm curious in case I do pump and get a bottle again.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmh23
What's lipase?
A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.

Lipase is an enzyme that is normally present in human milk and has several known beneficial functions:

Lipases help keep milk fat well-mixed (emulsified) with the "whey" portion of the milk, and also keep the fat globules small so that they are easily digestible (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
Lipases also help to break down fats in the milk, so that fat soluble nutrients (vitamins A & D, for example) and free fatty acids (which help to protect baby from illness) are easily available to baby (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
The primary lipase in human milk, bile salt-stimulated lipase (BSSL), "has been found to be the major factor inactivating protozoans" (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 203).
Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 158), the amount of BSSL in a particular mother's milk does not vary during a feed, and is not different at different times of day or different stages of lactation. There is evidence that there may be a decrease in lipase activity over time in mothers who are malnourished.

What can I do if my storage problem is due to excess lipase? Once the milk becomes sour or rancid smelling/tasting, there is no known way to salvage it. However, newly expressed milk can be stored by heating the milk to a scald to inactivate the lipase and stop the process of fat digestion. Scald the milk as soon after expression as possible.

From that kellymom link.

#6 ·
Will your babe take it?
The milk isn't "bad" as in spoiled...the taste just gets nasty.
If babe will take it, you can still feed it.
In order to prevent the lipase from making the milk stinky, you can scald the milk before freezing/refridgerating.

I had this. My babe wouldn't take any of my pumped milk, because it was all like that.

#8 ·
I think I may have this issue. I just started working on a freezer stash for when I go back to school in the fall. I guess I should un-freeze some and see how it tastes these days....I hope it's improved (last time I pumped was when DS was like 2-3 mos, he's now 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.