another baby poop question (not worried, just wondering) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2003, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, DD (almost but not quite 3mo. old) has settled into a poop pattern (now that I've said "pattern", who wants to bet it'll change immediately? LOL) that has me wondering....

She wiggles tons in her sleep (wakes me up but not her) from about 6 or 7 am on until 8 or so when she wakes up and poops 2 to 4 times in about an hour. Lovely yellow/mustardy BF baby poop. Usually sleeps again some (short naps) after. Sometimes poops again in the morning (yellow, again). Then she'll poop once or twice (sometimes 3 times) between noon and about 11pm... but these are spinachy/green/really green poops that fit the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance descriptions.

I'm not worried, really, since she's doing great and regularly has text book BF baby poops... but I've been wondering: are these green poops comming from her early morning feeds (wants to eat quite a few times in the mornings when my boobs are *full* and it takes her two or three "meals" to completely empty one boob and for the milk to stop looking like skim milk and start looking creamier)?

If that's it (daily only a few feeds foremilk/hindmilk imbalance), would pumping out some of the foremilk before feeding her in the mornings get rid of the green poops? Or would I just be setting myself up of even *more* foremilk in the mornings by increasing morning supply?

But since everyting is basically going well... should I just apply the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and leave well enough alone?

Just wondering out loud... any ideas, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
But since everyting is basically going well... should I just apply the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and leave well enough alone?
Yes!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:02 AM

I agree with Mallory, I wouldn't change anything. I don't think it is something to worry about at all. My dd had green poos on and off at about that same age. I never really paid attention to the time of day or anything like that, I know there were several in the morning. I just think it has something to do with their developing digestive systems. My LLL leader looked in her book. It says bf poo may range from split pea soup green, tan, yellow or any color in between. I also feel that if it were an issue of not receiving enough hindmild the poo would also be very stringy, not the normal consistancy. HTH.

User Tag List