Won't take a bottle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The little girl (2.5 months) that I'll be watching soon refuses all bottles. Her mommy has gotten every size and shape and brand on the market. She bought the boob shaped one. She's tried preemies and newborns, toddlers and all the different flow rates. She's given the bottle herself twice and it worked like a charm. Addison (the baby) won't take a bottle at all from her dad, and once took a bottle from her grandmother while mom was out at the grocery store. I went over and tried several different bottles, walked around the house, the yard, put her in a sling, put the bottle where my boob was, etc. Nothing. She played with the nipple, but would not latch on. She was a pretty good "lapper" so when I go over the next time, I'll take a cup and maybe a finger feeder. What else are we forgetting? This mom is not very "crunchy", otherwise, I'd offer to nurse the baby for her. Mom is only working part time. 1 four hour day and 2 eight hour days. I don't beleive a baby will starve itself, and I've told the mom about reverse cycling too. Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories?
T

hh2.gif

#2 of 13 Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 PM

no----
#3 of 13 Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

: LOL, well that was profound! I can't beleive I never thought of that!

hh2.gif

#4 of 13 Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my babe is 4 months and still refuses all bottles... when we have too, she will finger feed but i wish i had someone to bf her because I can't go anywhere without her yet....
my lactation consultant told us to try a cup...
You mentioned every technique imaginable.
way to go on your efforts.
cheers,
marcy
#5 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM

I have heard that wrapping the bottle in an article of the mother's clothing helps--it might help you if the baby will take a bottle from the mom but not from you.
#6 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Not too much experience with this, but I'd say either try a sippy cup, or maybe finger-feed her with a syringe, or tube, or something like that.

(sorry, kids crawling all over me, lol)
#7 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Finger feed, cup or maybe syringe. MAYBE a sippy cup.... maybe spoon feed her just a little as needed? Maybe with one of those medicine spoons?

(you might offer to nurse kind of jokingly and see what mom says...)

good luck!

-Angela
#8 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 11:46 PM

Is the baby content otherwise, or is she upset the whole time the mom is gone? I am just trying to figure out how to deal with my own baby won't take a bottle issue.

#9 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 11:57 PM

My almost 6-month old would never get the hang of a bottle the couple of times we tried. (We gave up trying, since we didn't really have a "reason" for her to need one.) One weekend when she was 3 or so months, though, I did a workshop and daddy got her to take enough milk from a syringe to keep her content. Give that a try!
#10 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM

Is it possible for mom to leave work and come nurse or you bring baby to her to nurse during the day a few times.
#11 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Ok

Dh used a rubber-coated spoon to get bm in ds1 who would never take a bottle. We introduced a cup quite early too (4mo?), but the spoon was most successful early on. Yes, it is a sloooooow process. We also tried many nipples, bottles, etc. Dd didn't take a bottle either, but I was home with her until she was 8mo and she was well into cups by then. (The syringe idea sounds quicker than the spoon though.)

Good luck.
#12 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 AM

If the baby gets really upset or something and wont take milk any other way, just nurse her and dont tell the mom. I know that sounds bad, but if you know you are healthy and the baby is hungry....I definately think it would be a heck of a lot less damaging to just give her a boob than to let her scream. But if the mom is only going to be gone a few hours at a time, the baby shouldnt starve. My dd wouldnt take a bottle either...she would spend 8 hours in daycare and not drink a drop, but she made up for it when I would have her. My 10 month old also refused the bottle up until recently, now she is fine with it. Babies are funny like that sometimes

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#13 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_monkeys
If the baby gets really upset or something and wont take milk any other way, just nurse her and dont tell the mom. I know that sounds bad, but if you know you are healthy and the baby is hungry....
I just couldn't not respond to this. I REALLY hope you are joking.

I would seriously hurt anyone who breastfed my baby and then on top of that "hid" it from me. It's one thing if both parties are okay with it, quite another the way you are suggesting it.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page