If your older toddler self weaned... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how old was he or she when it happened? My son is 2.5 years old, and we're still happily nursing 2 times each day. Though I enjoy it and my son is still totally attached to nursing, in my dreams, he would self-wean around the time he turns three. I don't think it will happen, and I am not going to force it on him, but I'm curious. For those who let their children decide when to stop nursing, at what ages did they decide?
#2 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 02:23 PM

My oldest was a little over 2. When she had her 2nd birthday she was nursing once or twice a day, then she went to skipping days and then it was maybe once or twice a week. She just stopped asking to nurse, it was the way I had hoped it would work out.

Right now I am nursing my son who just turned 2 about once every 3 hours. He does not nurse at night but still nurses to sleep for bedtime and naps. I think he will still be nursing at 3 and like you my hope is for him to self wean himself I am not sure how that will work out for us. I want him to have the same wondeful nursing expereince I gave his sister.
#3 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 03:15 PM

Babies are all so different. I know many that weaned around the 3 year mark give or take a few months and many to go on for many years after this.

My dd self weaned at 5.8 years
#4 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 03:34 PM

Mine are going strong at almost 2 and 3 1/2. I expect that the oldest one has at least a year left (now at 3 1/2 he nurses at least 10 times a day and a couple times at night), but if he weaned I wouldn't be surprised if his brother followed suit .

Here is a poll from over a year ago. Maybe someone should make a new one?
poll
#5 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 06:35 PM

My two are the same ages as Mallory's kids, and both are still nursing. My oldest, though, usually only nurses once a day (at bedtime). Occasionally throughout the day if she is upset, etc., but that only happens at most once a week.

Up until about 3 months ago, she was also nursing in the morning and a couple of times throughout the day. She's just kind of dropped those nursing sessions on her own.

The youngest probably nurses 4-5 times a day, give or take.

It wouldn't surprise me if the oldest self-weans by the time she is 4 - which would be fine with me, as I'm pregnant and it would be nice not to be nursing 3! We'll see, though...
#6 of 9 Old 03-21-2003, 07:53 PM

2 1/2, 3 1/2 and the youngest, who will be 3 on Tuesday is still nursing. The oldest two nursed only at bedtime for a number of months before weaning. My current nursling is still nursing during the day at this point so it seems he's taking a different approach.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#7 of 9 Old 03-22-2003, 10:59 PM

My daughter just weaned at 4 years 1 month. DS is still nursing, but he is only 18 months!

Kay

#8 of 9 Old 03-23-2003, 05:35 PM

I thought my daughter had weaned herself a week before her 3rd birthday. I remember the day exactly since it was only 5 days before her brother was born and she told me that "the milkies are for the baby now". However 3 months later she started asking to nurse again. Now she nurses about once a day.
#9 of 9 Old 03-23-2003, 06:44 PM

2.5 but i was 5 mos preggo

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page