Should mothers be allowed to BF in public? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an idea- if women can't NIP than no one can eat in public. Well maybe we can allow people to eat in public but they must wear a drape over their head, eat canned food only, or take their meal in the restroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
I'd like to meet one of those voting against so I can squirt them with some breastmilk.
:
#33 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I shamelessly voted yes. :

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#34 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Ok, so not a area I tend to look thru/post, not having functioonal breasts and all but there was an article in the The Seattle Times yesterday about Babytalk magazine. The cover is of a baby breast feeding. I think it is a rather sweet photo, a cute, blue eyed baby looking up at mom. I've seen Maxim and FMH mags at the local 7-11 that showed way more breast than this shot and those photos designed to be sexy and no AP articles written up about them.

Here is the link:http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...9&query=breast

So my question is do you Ladys really get alot of flak when you nurse in public?

My wife nursed when she needed too and I didnt notice much in the way of looks of disaproval and certainly no one said anything to her when I was around because they would be dead now

I also voted yes and its at 82 / 18 currently.
#35 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM

So, I was thinking of telling those who voted "no" that I would be willing to stop niping if: every place I went provided me with a nice room to sit and nurse in. Complete with soft comfy couches, snacks, water, maybe a boppy if I felt like using one, some nice music playing over a stereo system, heat and A/C, and a mother's helper to play with my other kids if need be. Otherwise, I'll feed my child anywhere, anytime and if you don't like it don't look!!
#36 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I've never had a negative experience NIP. In fact I had a very positive one a while back. I'm so nervous about doing it that I just hate it, but an employee of the pub type place my mom and I were eating at came over and told me how happy she was to see me nurse. Of course she turned out to be a mom and a doula so don't know if that counts since she's technically in our world to begin with. I usually just feed him in the van before we go in places anyway. Everyone who engages me in conversation about the kids and finds out I'm raising them full time and nursing always tells me those are the best things, man or woman. Of course I live/lived in two very socially liberal states. Maybe things are different in say, Nebraska?
#37 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe I'm just crazy...but I don't even see why there is a question about this? I mean it's like asking should people be allowed to eat in public? I mean, WTF? The main function of a woman's breasts is to provide nourisment for her young. Yes, breasts do also have a sexual function but that is NOT their main function, much to the dismay of the US media. The key is that when being used to feed a baby, breasts are not sexual. Breastfeeding is the best way that a mother can insure her child has a good shot at survival, and it's instincual to feed your baby on command, when he wants it, and your breasts, thanks to the wisdom of God, are right there! Times have changed, but how we feel our children has not. Why on earth would anyone want to censor a baby's meal? I don't get it...I just don't. But whatever, I guess small minded people are going to be around forever, so we just plug along and hope we can expand their minds with knowledge. :

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#38 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 09:54 PM

voted!
#39 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Dez

I've never really had a negative experience either. Not that I would've cared anyway. I sure got good at eating and nursing in public at the same time in restaurants! LOL

And so much for freedom in america when we have to have laws protecting the right to NIP!
#40 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 10:18 AM

I sent the newsroom a nastygram, shaming them for formenting more resentment and harrasment against nursing mothers. I encourage all to to do the same.
#41 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 PM

The sad thing is that, if given the chance, a lot of people who vote yes would follow it up with "as long as she's discreet, as long as she is covered, as long as she utilizes the nursing rooms available to her, as long as it doesn't offend anyone in her company, etc."
#42 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with you laneylou. I do try to be discreet, but I won't use a blanket or any other device! What's the point after a certain age? I just NIP'd a few minutes ago in fact. I always think the people around me are uncomfortable, but no one has ever acted that way so it must just be my nerves. I just use my shirt and push it down right to his cheek and try to keep his hand occupied so he doesn't push it up. That's as far as I'm willing to inconvenience myself for the stupid people. And to the ones who would say they don't want to see that while they're eating, well, they serve food in strip clubs so it's not like breasts and food don't go together
#43 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM

i'm in!
#44 of 47 Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 PM

I voted YES and it's up to 83% in support of NIP!

Stef - mommy to Matthew and Katrina, wife to Dave; seamstress, bra-maker, and resident bra expert.  Find your proper bra size.
#45 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

NIP Article in Oregonian http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...l=7&thispage=1

"In Oregon, 89.4 percent of new moms breast-fed at least once in 2005, the highest rate in the nation, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey. Washington ranks a close second, at 88.9 percent. That includes moms who stopped when they left the hospital or soon after. In Oregon, the percentage drops to 58 percent when babies reach six months, and 37 percent at one year.

In 2005, Oregon was the only state to surpass the federal government's goal of 25 percent of mothers exclusively breast-feeding at six months, logging in at 27 percent. The national average is 14 percent. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be fed nothing but breast milk for the first six months of life."

Pathetic! Criminal! Disgusting!
And the assertion that some groups don't BF because they don't see people who look like them doing it in the media, well c'mon I thought we all grew out of that after high school! That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never seen anyone like me BF anywhere! That's just plain stupid. Of course the only images of BFing you're going to see are thin white women, if you have to show it, make it look attractive, that's what they are thinking. Just one excuse after another...
#46 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Grrr......

I choose to BF wherever, whenever DD is hungry. Last night at Red Lobster my own MOM got mad at me and was embarrased and worried someone would see!

How will we ever change a nation when we cant even change our own parents???
#47 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneylue
The sad thing is that, if given the chance, a lot of people who vote yes would follow it up with "as long as she's discreet, as long as she is covered, as long as she utilizes the nursing rooms available to her, as long as it doesn't offend anyone in her company, etc."
This is the reason the breastfeeding law hasn't been passed in ND yet, cause some idiot tried to tag all that on the end...

But anyway, I'm going to continue nursing my 26 mos old Zander in public for now with no plans to ask anyone if it's ok or not! If they don't like it they don't have to look!! Would they rather hear him crying cause he fell or see (& not hear) him being comforted? What really gets me though is when another nursing mama (with a younger child) gives me a weird look! I feel like saying, "Hey, we're on the same side here!" Sorry for the rant!

Also the poll remains at 83% yes.

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page