How exactly do you wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-22-2003, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been trying to decide when the right time would be to wean my 16 month old DD and I think the time is now. Even though this is my second child, my 1st DD weaned herself at 16 mos. when I was pg. w/ my 2nd. I know some people feel that 16 months is too early but I am just worn out and nursed out. I think it's probably because I've been preg/nursing since May'99. I 've been trying to offer her something else during the day and I will nurse her if she insists. Noght nursing is the thing of greatest concern to me. She still wakes several times at night and if her "milky' isn't there, she freaks. MyDH dosen't want me to even try a bottle( she never took one anyway). He feels like it's just another thing to wean her off of. He'd also be happy if I just kept nursing her so he's not exactly brainstorming w/me on this one. Any advice? Thanks, Jeannine
#2 of 3 Old 03-23-2003, 01:14 AM

First of all, good for you for nursing 16 mo! That's way longer than the average US mom. If you're ready to wean, then it's time. Nursing is a two way street--if you resent nursing, then you're not doing anyone any favors, imo.

I would recommend you read "How Weaning Happens." You can buy it or your LLL leader should have it in her library for you to borrow. It gives great tips on gentle weaning.

We recently nightweaned my 2yo because I'm pregnant and it was just too painful for me. There are probably other ways to do it, but all we did was just *not nurse* between the time I went to bed and daylight. The first few nights were rough, but after that it got much easier. Dd stayed in our bed the whole time. Dh and I would rub her back and legs, pat her back, walk with her, take her for car rides--whatever we needed to to get her back to sleep. She pretty quickly learned to get back to sleep on her own.

As far as day weaning goes, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. If you're not in a rush, you can do the "don't offer, don't refuse" technique--probably the most gentle way to go. I'm in kind of more of a hurry, so we've started limiting to 3 times a day--morning, noon and bedtime. I'm doing that for a month, then 2 times a day the next month, then once day until she's weaned. It's working well for us, but I think it depends on how "ready" your child is.

I'm sure you'll find a method that works for you. Please take my advice with a grain of salt--I'm no expert, I'm just telling ya what worked for us. Best of luck to you!

peace, Beth
#3 of 3 Old 03-26-2003, 11:04 AM

Yes, weaning is a decision between 2 people, you and your child. Lots of moms here nurse for over 2 yrs, but if it's not for you, it's not for you...

Weaning goes less easily with very determined, spirited toddlers. Distraction and keeping busy are the best techniques for day weaning. Night weaning, well, offer a cup of water, or a snack, or a book, or a rock, or walk, or sing, etc. It will go more or less easily depending on how easy going your dd is.

You may find if you just limit nursing, and not fully wean, you will feel less overwhelmed and not need to wean completely.

2nd the rec of the book.

links:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/wean.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page