I have another question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-23-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I hope I'm not posting too many questions here!

It's almost seven weeks since my baby and I started our nursing relationship, and suddenly, a new wrinkle. I am starting to leak when he cries, which is normal but wasn't happening before. AND, sometimes when we nurse, he starts to cry, hard. He's not pulling off the breast like he did the day I figured out I had thrush. There does seem to be some correlation between his new behavior and my breasts'. Sometimes milk is dribbling out of his mouth. I have been able to calm him down by burping him on my shoulder.

So does this mean I'm letting down faster? And if it does, what do I do? I can't follow the baby's cues right now because he cues me to feed him more and then seems to find it overwhelming. Should I pump? I'm going back to work part time this Friday, so we'll definitely get to use the extra milk.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-23-2003, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Switching sides frequently may help. When baby lets go or becomes overwhelmed on one side, give him the other, then switch back the next time. Good luck.
#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2003, 10:16 AM

No, I disagree with Starling's idea. sorry Starling!

If you are having strong letdowns that are causing distress, switching sides will just make you make more milk, more problems. Offer to nurse on one side only for 2-3 hours, no matter how many times he nurses (express to comfort on the unused side until you regulate). This is if you're sure you now have an overabundance. Are you using fenugreek? you may want to stop.

Also, nursing lying down will help him control the flow, or nursing in a semi-reclined position, so the milk has to go uphill.

If he still won't nurse well, maybe he just wants to comfort suck, and will suck on your finger?

Or course, pump if you want now, to get ready for work.
#4 of 7 Old 03-23-2003, 03:00 PM

Hey DaryLLL,

Since LLL is part of your name, I'm guessin' you know more about overcoming nursing difficulties than I do.

Captain O, I'd listen to DaryLLL!
#5 of 7 Old 03-23-2003, 10:30 PM

When DS fusses during nursing and lets milk roll out of his mouth (and down my belly...I'm a sticky MESS), it usually means he either needs to burp a giant, grown-up sized burp, or he wants to suck but doesn't want milk to come out.

When my let-down is fast and hard in the morning, he just sucks, pulls off, and takes a breather. This continues through most of the morning feeding. But he doesn't fuss about getting milk too fast.

Hopefully that and nursing uphill and only one side for a while helps. Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 03-26-2003, 08:41 AM

I;m glad Declan is smarter then Reilly because she doesn't get the message even when she wants no milk she will go at it anyway and risk the big PUKE. LOL.
#7 of 7 Old 03-26-2003, 10:56 AM

LOL

Julie...your milk is just so good she can't help herself!
(Or...she's like me and just loves food so much she justcan'tstop!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page