foods not good for nursing mom of infant?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2003, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what foods should be avoided?

my ds been very colicky this week and having lots of bowel movement. i have avoided all gassy food like onions, cabbages etc.

we make fresh squeezed juice daily...orange and apple in morning, beets and carrots in pm...with other varations like pineapple, strawberry, pears to fut juice etc. last night at a function many previously nursing mom highly advised me not to drink orange and apple juice! YIKE: i know they are highly acidic but didnt know they would affect the nursing infant.

we are vegetarian, so i tend to eat lots of fruits in the day. yike now what to do if i cant eat fruits and make our power fruit and vegy drinks ?

thanks for tips and anyone know of a list of what food to absolutely avoid that would be great.

stephanie, tandem nursing mom to 2 mos and 3 year old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2003, 11:21 AM

Normally a bfing mom can eat just about anything she wants. (excluding druggy things like coffee and alcohol and chocolate).

Gassiness in the baby can be caused by any number of food sensitivities. Dairy is the biggest culprit. Look at your history and your dh's and siblings. any problems with foods as kids or now?

Other common allergens:

wheat
corn
soy
peanuts
eggs
citrus
strawberries
shellfish

You may be able to moderate the amt you eat or drink, or you may need to cut out an allergen completely. Esp dairy, often needs to be taken out completely. no hidden dairy in processed foods either.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:59 AM

oddly, both my babes seemed sensitive to brocolli.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:10 PM

Lots of dark green veggies will be a problem for many babies and adults. Are you gassy? If you are gassy chances are your baby is too. The key is moderation. There may be some things that you have to avoid altogether but, mostly small amounts of anything should be ok. Just listen to your body and your babies body.

Also, I have learned a great technique for helping move the gas. From right to left gently massage hand over hand over the intestines. Start under the right rib and gently massage across the belly under the left rib and then from left to right across the lower abdomin. I have colitis and this is a technique I use on myself to get things moving. It works wonderful on gassy babies as well. Hope this helps!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

daryl...why have the moms I have encountered on the weekend advised me against drinking fruit juices? Especially apple and orange juice? I know they are acidic and all.

I was leafing thorugh my LLL nursing book but didnt find anything that indicates which food passes through the milk. Just the section about the allergies.

I know when starting solids with the lil ones post 6 mos that we have to be cautious and to avoid the acidic and allergens foods. But when nursing?

So its still ok to drink our freshly squeeze homemade juice of fruits and veggies daily? (we just have one cup of homemade fruit juice in the morning and one cup of veggy drink in the evening).

I like it as it keeps me energized and away from the tempting foods like sweets and chocolate which are not good for mother and child.

my dh says if I eliminate everything in my diet then I might as well eat junk food which is worse than all the healthy nutritious food. ANd since breastmilk is supposed to be the best, eating fresh fruits and veggies should be the best too.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:56 AM

Yes, babies with food sensitivies can be affected by a food the mom eats, or in your case drinks. Citrus is a common one. No, you won't have to cut out all healthy foods and go on a junk food diet! LOL! The occ mom of a very sensitive baby will have to go on a "caveman" diet. Eating like our ancestors did is natural and not junky.

links:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/allergies.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/avoid.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041800.asp

Maybe cut out the orange juice and pineapple juice for a week or so and see what happens. apples are a less common allergen. Perhaps you will be able to eat a whole orange, as it will digest more slowly, with the fiber and all. when you drink straight juice, the food is shot to your milk more quickly.

HTH...
Old 03-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Darnit! I was so hoping for a junk food diet recommendation!

It's a good thing I ate the last girl scout cookie yesterday so I don't have any around to tempt me today. LOL!

User Tag List