"He's too old for that!" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The nursery worker at our church actually said this to me when my son asked to nurse. He's only 19 months. All 3 of her children were/are formula fed. (And cry unattended, sit in their excrement for hours, destroy neighbor's property for the fun of it. . .)

Every week, I come home with a new "I can't believe she treats her children that way" story for my husband. It really is sad. I do think she loves her children, but they seem to be such an inconvenience to her.

So I was able to say to her "No he isn't! The World Health Organization recommends nursing until at LEAST two!" And she said "Really? Teeth and all?"

For some reason, her comment didn't bother me at all. Maybe because I already knew how she felt, and finally had an opportunity to present some facts.
#2 of 4 Old 03-23-2003, 08:17 PM

Great response. I always get flustered and just mumble incoherently at times like that. Well done you!
#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2003, 07:05 PM

Since you were in a religious setting I would have been tempted to say something like "Talk to God if you don't like it. It was His idea!"
#4 of 4 Old 03-25-2003, 02:48 PM

You guys are great! Keep up the good work!
I was talking to my very best friend on the phone yesterday about nursing (her dd weaned at 4 months) and she asked how long I planned on doing it with my 9 week old. I said (don't flame me) "I really don't want to nurse past the age of 3.5, but she really calls the shots on that one." She freaked on me! Saying that she sees her daughter as a kid now (2.5) and shes too old for that. This is the same child that uses a pacifier. I dont know why I didnt quote the WHO, I just clammed up. How come I can debate the benifits of EBF with my MIL, other friends, and complete strangers till the cows come home, bt I get nervous about it when I talk to her?

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page