Is it even worth it anymore? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2003, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi--

DD is 8.5 mo. old. I have been exclusively pumping (with a little breastfeeding here and there) for the past 5.5 months. (very long story, some of which I have posted previously) Anyway...I usually pump 5-6 times per day and yield an average of 10-16 oz. My question is...is this small amount of bm (about 1/3 - 1/2 of dd's daily intake) even making a difference? Do you think there is even any benefit with such a small amount? Are there any studies done regarding this?

I just was laid off from my job on Friday, so I will attempt to get dd back onto breast full-time, however, I don't foresee this happening. (I've tried in the past)

I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Don't want to give it up, but if it isn't really making a difference, I'm thinking maybe I will.

Thank you for your response.

--Jennifer
#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2003, 09:50 PM

I admire your determination to stick it our this long. I think there is always a benefit to continue, but I don't have any numbers for you. BTW, when I was working full time I pumped 3xs at work plus 2 at home every day, plus nursed at night and weekends when I was home to have enough supply for ds. I also quit pumping as soon as he was a year old. It's no fun to pump!!

rebecca
#3 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 08:01 PM

I don't have numbers for you either - but I believe that *any* breast milk is better than none.

I give milk to a friend of mine who has adopted. I only give 4-6 oz a day - a very small part of her dd's intake. But every bit is a bonus for her.

I admire your pumping...you are giving your dd the best!!

I'm sorry for your job loss - cuddle extra with dd!

happykat
#4 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 08:10 PM

I am sure that any amount is worth it too!

I do know that as your supply goes down the % of antibodies increases. So that a weaning child, who isn't so dependant on milk for calories and nurishment, gets an extra dose of immunities before not nursing anymore.
#5 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 09:04 PM

I agree with Mallory's comment - I'm sure your baby is getting some immunity benefit from your breast milk. But I know how it feels when you can't pump enough. I'm still supplementing some formula and if dd latch doesn't improve soon, it'll be more and more formula. Everyday I wonder why I'm doing this, is it worth it?, how long can it last like this? then the next hour I'm determined again. And I'm not even working yet! I really admire how you're keeping your head above water doing ALL the things you gotta do.
#6 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your response. I am going to keep at it for now. I am still especially interested in finding a study that explains the benefits, if any, of any BM vs. no BM. I will be looking.

Thanks again.

--Jennifer
#7 of 8 Old 03-26-2003, 02:05 AM

Hi Jennifer. Kudos to you for pumping for so long. Your baby is lucky that you care so much about her getting breastmilk. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but when I was pregnant with my first child, I remember reading about a study that was on the benefits of breastmilk. I don't remember all the specifics, but the study broke children down into three groups: breastmilk only, breastmilk and formula, and formula only. The babies who received no formula had the least health problems, BUT the children who received any breastmilk were significantly healthier than children who received no breastmilk. So, apparently any breastmilk is important to children. I wish I could tell you where to find that study, but I read that almost four years ago! Sorry. I hope you don't get discouraged. Good luck.
#8 of 8 Old 03-26-2003, 09:35 AM

Here is a fact link that talks about the benefits of nursing toddlers, which might pertain to your situation.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Even one feed of breastmilk (a few oz) a day is quite beneficial to a baby. I once knew a baby who was gradually weaned between birth and 6 mos. When his last feed/day was cut out, he got sick with a heart aliment that was kept at bay as long as he got the one feed of his mom's milk/day. (he had to have open heart surgery and had donated breastmilk during recovery, and the dr's were amazed at how quickly he healed!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page